Smev 4bo oven 16.49.1 ob

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Just another quick question,

We are in the process of deciding which options to order on our new Expanda & were wondering has anyone got the oven option with the stove.

Is the oven gas or electric ? Can't really see it being much use if it's electric for us as we will bush camp often & won't be able to use it.

Thanks again,

Paul PMK

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Hi Paul,

Just picked up our 17.56.1 & we have the oven. It is all gas except for the one electric hot plate.

Stew

(hmm better change the signature block after today's delivery!!) :)

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Hi Paul,

Just picked up our 17.56.1 & we have the oven. It is all gas except for the one electric hot plate.

Stew

(hmm better change the signature block after today's delivery!!) :)

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Paul,

We didn't bother with the oven so can't help with the second part of your question.

We however considered the oven for a split second, then decided if we are in the bush we'll use a fire/camp oven & if we are at a caravan park we'll use their oven. All else fails we'll use the microwave.

We saved the money for other features.

Good luck.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thanks For the replies

The wife likes the idea of an oven & being gas makes it avail for use anywhere. Don't mind a camp fire either but keeps our options open with an oven on board.

The Option list is nearly complete, We'll be heading to a Jayco yard on the weekend to order our new van........... Can't wait

Thanks Again

PMK

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Cook top is 3 gas 1 electric.

The oven is 4BO with 240V element. So it is a two way - don't know how good it is on electric, probably better on gas at a guess.

It comes down to personal choice - we didn't go for an oven as they weren't that big and because we had lost the ability to put one in with our configuration. 17.56-2 with 150 ltr fridge meant we would have had to have roof mounted aircon instead of wall mounted. Just cost then as well. We have put a couple of gas bayonets on to use the Weber Baby Q and if the weather goes that bad, we will have to make do.

Only about 122 sleeps til the van is ready - not that I'm counting!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I agree with Bank o Dad. We looked at the option, but even the salesperson didn't encourage it due to size. There were none installed in any of the display models in the yard, so we haven't actually seen one, but was advised it was about the same width and depth as the microwave, just taller. And we'd lose the builtin microwave.
Stew, how big are they really?
Andrew

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
We carry a small glass oven(paid loads 4 it years ago but can get get them 4 about $60 now)If its hot we cook on the outside table,if cooler cook inside.No help though if no 240v available.Cheap option.

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Straydingo,

The oven is 350mm wide, 270mm high & 350mm deep with the racks out. Comes with one 'normal' rack & at the bottom is a tray that has a rotisserie (like in most microwaves). Just on the handover I found the noise the motor for this makes is quite annoying. Bit of a gimmick perhaps? Oh and the motor also comes on when you put the oven light too.

Anyway, I reckon the oven will certainly be big enough to do a small roast for two, although the family of 5 might be a bit too much if you want the roast veggies as well :)
We deleted the microwave from our van as we only really use ours at home for defrosting and the very occasional reheating of a meal. Call me old fashioned but a soggy pie done in a microwave in never as good as a crispy one from an oven!!

Cheers,

Stew

Reactions: Sammy D

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Straydingo,

Call me old fashioned but a soggy pie done in a microwave in never as good as a crispy one from an oven!!

Cheers,

Stew

Hey stew the new micowave ovens in the expanda's have a heating element for toasting /browning etc so no more soggy pies :high5:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
thanks Stew.
In the Swan we tend to do the veggies in the M/W, and the rest on the stove/bbq outside. The veggies tend to be a little crunchy still but not too bad. We couldn't figure out if our habits will change when we get the expanda, so left it out...

Andrew

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Andrew,

No worries. We have a non OB model and so there probably won't be much camp fire/oven cooking for us. For us, we also couldn't get the rooftop aircon due to the squeeze getting our van through our carport (pics to follow soon hopefully). So we had to have the wall mounted version. That, with a 150 ltr fridge, didn't leave much room for an appliance we rarely use anyway.

The best thing about all this is that with so many options & flexibility, Jayco seem to be really good at tailoring their wares to everyone's individual needs. And that makes all the differing opinions so good. Eventually you get a really good idea of the pros & cons of whatever & can get the setup that best suits you.

Now to find that thread about gas bayonets & Coleman Road Trip BBQ's. I am determined to prove someone wrong, lol.

Stew

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Andrew,

No worries. We have a non OB model and so there probably won't be much camp fire/oven cooking for us. For us, we also couldn't get the rooftop aircon due to the squeeze getting our van through our carport (pics to follow soon hopefully). So we had to have the wall mounted version. That, with a 150 ltr fridge, didn't leave much room for an appliance we rarely use anyway.

The best thing about all this is that with so many options & flexibility, Jayco seem to be really good at tailoring their wares to everyone's individual needs. And that makes all the differing opinions so good. Eventually you get a really good idea of the pros & cons of whatever & can get the setup that best suits you.

Now to find that thread about gas bayonets & Coleman Road Trip BBQ's. I am determined to prove someone wrong, lol.

Stew

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We went for the oven option, mostly for the kids meals. But we are also getting the 18 ft van so lack of space wasn't really a problem ;)
We will also get a baby Q with the roasting hood as hubby likes to cook a mean roast in it, which is fine by me as the BBQ is his domain :D