slide out bbq

michelle

Feb 17, 2011
hi all, new to the forum! We have had a swan outback for 18 months (purchased new) and now wishing to upgrade to expanda 17.56.2 ob to accomodate us and three growing boys. Thinking of signing up in adelaides up comming caravan and camping show. Just wondering what extras we should include especially any thoughts on the slide out bbq (which we didnt get on the swan). Also any ideas on best way to sell our much loved swan.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Michelle & welcome to the forum. The camping & caravan shows are a great place to check out vans so I hope you get to see the one you want and to buy it at a good price. Haggle with them. As to the slide out BBQ, I looked at them at our last show and I thought they were not worth the money being asked. The grill plate was just the same as the one in our oven baking dish but they may have improved them since. Other extras I would select would be an outside shower with a hot water system and internal LED lights.

I sold my A'van through Trading Post here in Qld. I don't know about SA but you could try Carsguide & Carsales. Both seem to do quite well as does Gumtree. All these are web sites so have a look at them and see what other people are selling and what they are asking?

Good luck with both selling and buying.

Regards

Paul

Masand

Jan 31, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but are the slide out BBQ's worth it. If you use the annex then you would not cook in side. I think i much rather a portable so that you can set it up out the way. The fat and smoke will not go all over the awning roof and van walls. That'ss the way i see it any way.

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Hi there,

I have always been wary of the slide out bbq's. They are generally are pretty small for cooking but take up plenty of storage space. Secondly, if they are stored anywhere near the underside of a bed, you need to thoroughly clean them every time before storing. Unless you like the smell of fat, meat etc wafting up into the van while you try to sleep. An extra gas point on the "A" frame and your trusty portable bbq is (for me) a much more practical option.

Cheers

youngtravellers

Nov 28, 2010
Pakenham, Victoria, Australia
Hi Michelle,

Not sure if you have purchased as yet, but I have a built in BBQ in the Expanda 16-49-2 that I purchased 2nd hand last year. When we first looked at the van I thought. great, a built in BBQ. Since having it out & about over the holiday period, I now feel that this is a total waste. It is uncomfortable to cook on, as it is placed low on the van & a pain to connect when we want to use it. It also takes up valuable storage space under the seat in the van. I would suggest to save your money on this accessory & purchase a weber Q or similar.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
The BBQ's have changed in the 2011 models

Old BBQ:
old%20bbq.png

New BBQ:

new%20bbq.png

I have just ordered my new 17.56-2 with the external BBQ as we can use it on the run e.g side of the road to cook a hot lunch...