16' Series Side window stuck open

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all

We have been living in our 16.49-1 for the last five weeks whilst our new house was finished!

Went to pack it up today and found the small side window was stuck open. You normally push it a little to open then it closes. My guess is the little struts have given up working.

I need to tow it tomorrow and it looks like worst case I can just disconnect the struts.

Anyone had an issue with these windows before? And anything else I should try before unscrewing the struts?

Thoughts/experiences welcomed.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• 055FA837-8CF8-4447-A8AC-536EE5CC526C.jpeg
    055FA837-8CF8-4447-A8AC-536EE5CC526C.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 365
  • E68C33E9-BA7E-4B59-A1B6-226B726E2483.jpeg
    E68C33E9-BA7E-4B59-A1B6-226B726E2483.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 394

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The little box on the outside of the upper/outer strut that you can see in clearly in your 2nd pic has a spring (about the size of the pen spring) and a little ball bearing. The lower strut has 2 x small indents, corresponding where the ball bearing engages and the window locks open. The little bearings rust or get really grubby with dirt and make it very difficult to pop out of the indent to close the window without bending the damn strut.

Its very easy to unclip the visible cap on the little boxy bit, be careful to catch the spring and ball bearing although the spring isnt under much pressure. Clean the ball bearing, with steel wool if its rusty, lube up with a dry lube and clip it all back in and your good to go. Wet lube will just attract dust and dirt, but its better than nothing. Simple 90sec fix, no tools required. If you dont have any lube clean the bearing with steel wool and use dish washing soap till you get some lube. I give mine a dry lube spray up inside the strut every so often, keeps them pretty happy

You window has the bearing stuck in the upper indent (seat), the lower seat is visible lower down on the lower/inner strut arm. There is no other mechanism inside the strut itself, unlike the other windows ... all works on just force and the ball bearing seating in either of the 2 indents

E68C33E9-BA7E-4B59-A1B6-226B726E2483b.jpg

Last edited:

Scrounger

Oct 7, 2016
Shoalhaven
If you snip 1 to 3mm off the springs it also makes it lighter to open and close, and I have not had any problems with dirt trying to lock them up again.
If you do try this ONLY snip 1mm off a spring at a time and then try for feel.
My misses was most happy after completing she said it was the worst window in the van and she always thought she was going to pull the handles out.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi all

We have been living in our 16.49-1 for the last five weeks whilst our new house was finished!

Went to pack it up today and found the small side window was stuck open. You normally push it a little to open then it closes. My guess is the little struts have given up working.

I need to tow it tomorrow and it looks like worst case I can just disconnect the struts.

Anyone had an issue with these windows before? And anything else I should try before unscrewing the struts?

Thoughts/experiences welcomed.

Cheers

Mark
they look similar to the ones we have on our bunks, and we have had nothing but trouble with them. I have disconnected three of them so as I can shut the windows and then placed the arm back in position to hold the window open.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Brilliant info. One bearing was rusty the other fine. Window closed for transit and storage. Will get some steel wool and dry lube to complete the job when van is next in use at Easter. Thanks all for the info and advice.

Reactions: Crusty181