Should caravan owners undergo compulsory towing education?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think you have much more faith in peoples self regulation than I do. My parents wont do it (because they think caravaning is for gypsies , unfortunates and weirdos. Hmmmm, now that I see that in text maybe it is), but ....... inexperience, lack of skills and inability to foresee predictable outcomes are not so easy for many folk to see.

The other anomaly is there are many people, like old Cletus, who have been towing for 50 years that are no better at it than my dear old dad who never towed anything.

Funny story in Fingal Bay, where we were camped next to an elderly couple with their brand new large van and brand new Jeep (theyll regret that), and a huge van slowly slides past our camp the wrong way down the one way street, and start swinging into the corner 3 sites from the intersection. It was obvious he wasnt going to make it. The van was about to take out the new van next door so I ran out to watch it open up the side of the van on the street sign, which saved the neighbours.

That was old 90 year old Cletus. He'd apparently been caravaning all his life and all these retire folk have their permanent yearly pozzies after the all the kids leave, including Cletus. His site was on the main park street straight off the road, past the office in a straight line 50 mtrs from the gate which you could see from the gate, yet he managed to get lost in the caravan park he visits at the same time every year to the same site ... and then like every year he had to get the c/park manager to park his van. Apparently he hits stuff most years

I must be one un-lucky bugger then, I have never come across a "Cletus" like that camping or caravaning

usually find him in his little Daewoo at the shopping centre............trying to park............

Reactions: Crusty181