Shoddy Manufacturing

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
Sitting in our 3 year old 14-44-5 on our Queensland trip. Our 3rd in her short life. So far the hot water tank. Electric sprung a leak water all over the floor. Found a van repairer who said he'd never seen it before, the cold water inlet had been over tightened in manufacture and totally sheared the brass fitting. And tonight looked at my seat and the upholstery has frayed apart, not enough fabric used to form a seam. Manufacture again.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The brass fitting fracture is a common occurrence. I replaced both of mine recently as a precaution.

Reactions: Simon

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Our dinette seat also failed on the seam, i also thought it was from lack of material. But in our chase i think it was from where you place your knee to open the window. Puts excessive tight strain on the stitching.

But we got a new set of covers out of Jayco no problem. But this does depend on age.

Reactions: Marv_mart

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @Rose, I have replaced both the cold water inlet and hot water outlet even though they were not leaking. A couple of members had them break and flood the van so I decided to be safe before our last trip. Here is pic of the old and new fittings, the old for some reason was a two piece unit pressed together while the new one is a one piece.
Hot water connectors.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just got my 12v sorted and I am certainly going to replace my brass fittings soon as, I have noticed that everything timber, hoses, cables all don't have any excess length or size to allow for much movement, I have extended or repositioned most to give them some ebow room. Will stop at the Van spares place today and pick up some fittings I think.

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
Hi @Rose, I have replaced both the cold water inlet and hot water outlet even though they were not leaking. A couple of members had them break and flood the van so I decided to be safe before our last trip. Here is pic of the old and new fittings, the old for some reason was a two piece unit pressed together while the new one is a one piece.
View attachment 25139

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Our dinette seat also failed on the seam, i also thought it was from lack of material. But in our chase i think it was from where you place your knee to open the window. Puts excessive tight strain on the stitching.

But we got a new set of covers out of Jayco no problem. But this does depend on age.
Same has happened to my 14.44-5. Getting seat cover replaced at annual service under warranty.
Will check brass HW fitting as well to see if they are showing problems. Any tell tale signs?
Have just completed v long trip (10,500km) with no other issues arising.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@chartrock Do you now what the anode rod was like on yours ? Just wondering if it's part of the cause. Went up town and forgot about the Van shop, bugga.

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
That is exactly what happened. The repairer said the fittings are over tightened during manufacture which causes them to shear. Nice to know it's not just us will be watching them in future. $50 and all was good. Friendly helpful guys had it fixed in half an hour. " The full Moti caravan repairs ". Yeppoon also have a m
@chartrock Do you now what the anode rod was like on yours ? Just wondering if it's part of the cause. Went up town and forgot about the Van shop, bugga.

Reactions: Drover

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
We had replaced the anode which was another thing we had not been told about approx 4 weeks before the leak. Don't think that had anything to do with it

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Easy enough job to do, from what I've gathered it pays to have a spare and check every 12 mths, depends on the water you put thru how long they last. Only about $30 for one.