Interior Seal Around Toilet

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I asked this on another forum and got no replies, maybe someone here can help.
In Our 2012 Jayco Discovery we have a Thetford Toilet Shower combo, there is a sealing strip that is around the back and along the sides where the toilet cassette joins the wall and this appears to have shrunk a bit and the silicone that is sealing it has separated from the walls. I will have to re seal it but can anyone tell me if water gets in there where does it go, I don't want to re silicone if there is a better fix
Thanks
Terry

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Terry, I have the same thing however if you do get a bit of water that gets through no need to worry as the fibreglass floor goes under the toilet and the walls overlap the floor. I had a look at mine when the ensuite was getting replaced.
Cheers.

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
My seal was dodgy from day one. I had it 'fixed' under warranty. Jayco just went over the top with a heap of white silicone.
Personally I wouldn't worry abut too much water getting in there anyway. I always found that only the odd splash went that way from the shower. Not much water really.
Let us know how you get on...

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks for the replies, I will just reseal with white silicone, they have already replaced the shower wall because of buckeling so I expect this could be an ongoing thing with the seal as it expands and contracts. Also it 300 ks from the dealer to get it sealed when I can do it myself.
I was more concerned with water damage.
Cheers

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
mine was dodgy too water fill the little storage areas under the toilet cassette, wasn't pretty at the time as I had stored a pack of those drop it toilet sachet things in there, 1 and 1/2 hr cleaning, wiping, soaking up the mess,

Also the external access hatch for the toilet isn't sealed internal side of the wall, while filling the flush tank it over flowed (unattended for a minute) and water went into the rear tunnel boot, fortunately I got to it quick and dried it up.

donnybabes

Dec 24, 2012
Bendigo Vic
I asked this on another forum and got no replies, maybe someone here can help.
In Our 2012 Jayco Discovery we have a Thetford Toilet Shower combo, there is a sealing strip that is around the back and along the sides where the toilet cassette joins the wall and this appears to have shrunk a bit and the silicone that is sealing it has separated from the walls. I will have to re seal it but can anyone tell me if water gets in there where does it go, I don't want to re silicone if there is a better fix
Thanks
Terry
If you bought van new it has a 5 YEAR warranty.I had the same problem,my van is a 2012 model.Jayco replaced the rubber and resealed it free of charge.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Mine is brand new and split there after a couple of days on the shakedown trip I was just going to use a better silicone like sikaflex as its a bonding sealant rather than just a sealant, Will see how it goes. Seems I have done 10 days in the van and 10 days maintenance :):):)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Mine is brand new and split there after a couple of days on the shakedown trip I was just going to use a better silicone like sikaflex as its a bonding sealant rather than just a sealant, Will see how it goes. Seems I have done 10 days in the van and 10 days maintenance :):):)

Noooooooooooo don't use sikaflex.

I redid mine a beautiful job, followed some great tips on here about masking and smoothing with water. Decided to use a "better" silicone (sikaflex) but unfortunately unlike the bostik V60 that the caravan industry use sikaflex yellows slightly so you have a bright white ensuite outlined on all corners with cream sikaflex!

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
MMMM Thanks achjimmy

I know sikaflex is not mould resistant like the kitchen bathroom stuff as well. But Sika is the best don't be rude I have come across for holding don't be rude together I was thinking Sikaflex nice and fine then while still fresh a coating of the silicone stuff .this should keep it strong and stay white.

What do they use on the outside of the van ? as I need to redo it in a lot of places. When it is left hollow it collects a lot of dirt and hard to clean out it should be done level or with slight concave but not 2-3mm lower than what it is sealing!!

Also my mudguards a big chunk fell out where there is about 10mm gap and it split all around so I am redoing that black in Sika. Also bought some stone chip rubber paint I am going to do sections with.

As the van is higher with the new suspension the rear mud guards are high off the ground I did 200km of very good dirt road and it has already started to chew out the ply behind the wheels so will repaint underside with this tough paint.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have no idea what Jayco use. But when my second van leaked and I told the dealer I'd fix it myself he mailed me up two tubes of V60 (bostik) and this worked very well. Like you Iam a sikaflex fan and used the black of the underside like I had shares in them. But as above the white don't stay white.