20' Series Satellite on 20.64

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
I removed the Winguard panel unscrewed the external feed cable and fished the cable through the wall down to where the sound cable to the radio comes out. Then I just use a short extension cable to attach the sat box.

If you want to use Foxtel you can use this cable and attach it to one or other of the antenna feeds depending if you want the Foxtel channels or the free to air ones. To use both inputs you obviously need another antenna cable so I found with my van which has the external entertainment panel you can easily feed another sat antenna cable through the hole that is used for the radio input wires, through the cupboards to the one under the tv where I just come out of the door up to the Foxtel box. Note that the vast channels through Foxtel are only SD so if your scheduled recordings are HD you will need to re schedule them in SD.

Cheers,

Rick.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I just got my Optima delivered. VAST registration isn’t complete yet but I have managed to get channel 800.

Using the offside antenna plug I can’t get any signal. Not even the signal finder will see anything.

Did you do anything to get it working. I did a bit of a google and apparently the power for the LNB interferes with the Winegard antenna booster so a few people have said it won’t work and I have to wire it a different way.

Anyone have a magic fix for this before I start drilling holes in the wall?

Chris
Terrestrial signal wont bother the Sat signal on the same coax because they are different freq, but the Sat STB wont like power in the coax from the Winegard amp so that needs to turned off. I have no issues with terrestrial feed clashing with the Winegard, or Sat connected via the offside aerial plug; they are all permanent connections and don't interfere with each other. Both the Winegard terrestrial and the Sat are running together all the time. My son can watch VAST TV in the van whilst Im watching Winegard terrestrial on the outdoor entertainment TV, or visa versa.

I requested quite specific coax plans when we ordered the van for my terrestrial/Sat requirements, but they stuffed it all up. I changed a few relatively easy things around to work around it. (The factory stuff up actually ended up allowing for the better system .... shhhhh)

I cant remember how I wired now, without having a look at. If you can wait until Ive got time to have a look at my cabling Ill get back to you. I didn't need to drill holes, and your wont either so long as your Winegard power plate is near the TV and VAST box

Last edited:
Reactions: G Daddy and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My how the days of going away to experience nature have gone!
Not really, for some of us it wasn't ever there. I don't particularly go away to experience nature .... in fact nature mostly just seems to coincidentally be in the places that I go. In a former life, and for very good reason, nature wasn't generally all that happy to see me. Ive long left that life behind, but I'm pretty sure nature hasn't quite forgiven me yet.

I love TV, its super awesome. I can even watch nature shows particular when its night time and I cant see the nearby local nature.

Many here will recall how I sometimes like to get more nature'al than most are comfortable with ;) ... so you see, TV and nature can be great friends

Reactions: 1DayIll

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Final pictures. Doubles as a garbage bag hanger.

B6265790-0838-458A-8636-2A97B8E72491.jpeg
F57545C9-DC6B-4FCE-9CF8-12C129E5D48A.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Would love to find out more about your wiring.

My power plate is on the other side of the van from where the VAST box and TV is unfortunately.
My Winegard wall plate is above the TV. I have a second one adjacent, but Jayco balls'ed it all up so that's now used just fo the 12v power.
20171025_132624-resized-1920.jpg

Even though your plate is on the opposite side, with a bit of planning youll be able to use the the offside input.

The rear of the plate has 3 x screw-on F connectors. Looking at mine; from the left is a secondary output (to go another TV somewhere else, or in your case likely the coax across to your TV), middle (slightly behind) is the offside antenna input which is labelled "Cable", and right side is the Winegard input labelled "Antenna".
20171025_132315-resized-1920.jpg

Ive disconnected the offside antenna from the plate and connected that coax directly to the Satellite STB. I cant recall if I did that because i had issues, or just because I wanted the Winegard to to able to function simultaneously (we have TVs outside and in the bunks). Thats where youll need some creative connections because all your plates and connections are on the wrong side of the van.

First thing is to check connections. Connect you Sat dish to the offside input, disconnect the offside antenna from the plate and direct connect that antenna coax across the van straight to the Sat STB. Once youve established its working all youll need is a coaxial switch.
31ccUJt4FvL.jpg 31uBIklpkpL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Disconnect the Winegard secondary output coax which should be the single coax connected to where you TV plugs in, and connect that to single coax switch output. Connect the vans offside antenna coax into the coax switch input, and then a short coax from the Winegard plate to the other coax switch unput.

In effect your just feeding the Winegard signal and the Offside antenna into an isolation switch, and you then use the switch to select either of those to feed across to the TV. Its a small amount of jerking about, but Im a bit anal about boring holes in my vans walls, and once this is setup its a permanent and simply solution. The coax switch completely isolates the signal from the non selected input, and avoids any conflicts or interference.

I use the coaxial switch to flick mine, only mines for output signal to switch the outdoor TV from Sat to Terrestial ... I havent bothered to actual mount the coax switch yet .... :oops:, but its only been 3 years
20171025_132746-resized-1920.jpg

Reactions: G Daddy and Drover