Satellite from Sat Gear

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
I'll start by declaring I have no affiliation with this company. I do however work in a service orientated field, and have high expectations when it comes to the service I expect from businesses I shop with. When those expectations are met I rightfully believe I should tell as many people as possible. Therefore I thought I should share my recent experience with Sat Gear.

We made a real late decision to get away over the recent New Year period. Like everyone else we were busy doing Xmas the week before NYE, which left little time to get organised. As we got closer to our departure date (31st Dec) we started seriously considering options for TV. Our van isn't fitted with an aerial, so we'd decided a satellite system was the way to go since it provides coverage in all sorts of locations.

We started online browsing on Thur 27th and made our decision on where to purchase. Unfortunately when we contacted both the local (SEQld) businesses on the Friday, neither of them were trading over this period. So it was back to the keyboard and we stumbled upon Sat Gear. Their website also listed them as having the holiday period off, however they did have emergency contact details. So we sent them an email Friday night, advising what we were after and the timeframe we needed to collect (before Monday). Pleasingly I had a return email by the time I woke on the Saturday. Included in that email was a phone number to call and discuss details. I called Wayne early Saturday to clarify what I was after.

Wayne advised he could provide what I was after, however the product was on the opposite end of SEQ to me (about a 2.5 hr round trip). While I would have driven it if I needed to, Wayne offered to arrange to get the unit to his premises, which would save me 1.5 hrs driving time. The only catch was, he wasn't sure what time it would be able to be picked up. We ended the phone conversation with Wayne offering to call me as soon as a collection time could be established.

True to his word, I got the call around 2pm to say I could collect when I was ready. I jumped in the car and 30mins later pulled into Wayne's driveway. He bought the kit out (see it here) and must have spent close to an hour showing me how to setup the system, explaining how it worked and preparing me for a smooth first set up on the Monday.

VAST were not working over the weekend and the card could not actually be activated, however Wayne took care of all the registration steps and explained what I needed to do to 'rehit' the unit on Monday. I'm reasonably tech savvy so I felt comfortable with the instructions but was particularly comforted by Wayne's offer to call him when I set up if I experienced any issues on Monday.

I bid Wayne farewell and waited until camp was set up Monday afternoon before setting up the satellite system. Everything came together well, satellite was found, I processed the online 'rehit' of my system and was able to watch the evening news. On Tuesday I even received a text from Wayne asking did everything go to plan!

The service level from Sat Gear can only be described as excellent. In addition to the above, Wayne even took the time to find out what sort of connections I had on my TV and Van. When it was discovered I'd need a couple of adaptors he threw them in for me, saving me having to make a trip to Jaycar.

That brings me to the product itself. The kit comes with everything you'll need and packs away in its own case. You can tell when equipment is good quality and I'm pleased to report that this equipment oozes quality.

So that's my story, if you're in the market for a satellite system or associated equipment, then do yourself a favour and look at what Sat Gear have to offer.