18' Series Running the Laptop free camping

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Good evening Brains Trust...

Wondering what everyone uses to run or charge their laptops while free camping ? We have tried a few things over the years, but nothing that works real well. Inverters seem to really chew the battery bank.

Keen for your thoughts.....

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We looked at 12V chargers for ours @JMS Project but with two different laptops and 2 windows tablets was going to cost a fortune so went the 600W inverter fitted with a kill switch so it's only running when we need it. Only had one low battery warning alarm and that was when somebody who will remain nameless (Mrs Dagree 8-) ) forgot to turn the switch off.... Just lucky it was a cold night and others already had genies running to run the aircons!!! So we fired ours up for half an hour to top up the battery enough for overnight.

We usually charge everything in the mornings to allow the solar to recharge batteries during the day and top up with the genie if required.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
For our laptop I bought a replacement brick power supply from Jaycar a few years back that runs from a 12V cigarette lighter point.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/IT-Product...roducts/150W-Car-Laptop-Power-Supply/p/MP3472
May be too much power draw for some 12V sockets though so check first.
Other devices can be charged from multiple extra USB points I wired in myself but my Samsung pad when running still gradually runs down its battery. Needs to be run from its 240V plug unit. I do have a 300W inverter and a 75W one as well for smaller jobs.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I fitted a dedicated 12v socket under the table to plug in my inverter for the laptop try to charge it when the panel is in the sun but if at night makes sure the laptop is running as economic as possible. Ipads and stuff makes sure everything thats not needed is shut down, GPS and bluetooth chew a lot of power and shut down programmes like auto updates, maps etc they keep burning power trying to locate you. Facebook and other apps running all the time are power chewers.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree with drover about background stuff that chews power.

Our setup for what it's worth....Have had an inverter in previous van but rarely used it.

Laptop has a 12v charger but it doesn't charge just maintains charge. We now leave laptop at home as iPad etc does what the laptop was used for. No longer run a business so simple Internet, banking and email are all that's needed. Have yet to discover that Facebook etc are necessary when trying to escape the daily grind...my daily grump.

We also have multiple 12v sockets in van and in vehicle so all toys are charged directly from there.

The usb cables for the 12v are also used with several 240 plugs with usb sockets when on 240 so don't need separate chargers.

TV can run on 12 or 240 with accessible sockets but still haven't used the 240 plug as we are lazy and seem to always run it on 12v as battery always seems to be close to full. We do monitor it carefully and, if in doubt, we just decrease our usage till it gets more solar. We also have a few portable power packs which will keep charge up in iPads etc at night when we seem to need them more and just charge them up in the mornings.

Extra power margin we get from a portable deep cycle battery which we don't always take...only to places where we want to veg out and be couch potatoes for a week or so.

For a laptop I guess an inverter is better but if you check to see how much time you get from the one charge and use a 12v charger to maintain the charge it might work. I'm not convinced that an inverter is cost effective with laptops....240 is definately better and faster.....just depends on time between charges and anticipated usage.

We also charge camera batteries, rechargeable torches, toothbrushes, ereaders etc as well as phones which always seem to need a charge.

There is a spreadsheet which allows you to calculate anticipated input / output based on draw from each piece of equipment. I'll try to locate it and post it as I found it very helpful.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
What are everyones thoughts about pure sine wave vs square, and what you would run of each?
I have a 550 square and have some reservations about what I would run off it

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Thanks heaps everyone...

Well I have just purchased a 12v charging unit from Jaycar today. Will let you all know the outcome.

We have the iPads and phones etc. charging by USB, and never a drama there. But owning a company inevitably means at some stages I need the laptop to do bigger work than just checking emails etc... When we just get away for a couple of days, laptop stays at home, but once a year for 3 weeks is our annual family break. Well, a break for most anyway. Haha

Agree that you can never have too many 12v or USB charging points.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Stick some extra aHrs in via battery upgrades or extra batteries if you can to run just the laptop via the 12v. Then claim it on tax as equipment for your mobile office.