Exterior Roof Supports

russman

Mar 2, 2020
Canberra
Hey guys, first time poster.

I have a 17.56 2016 Expanda Pop Top and am looking to install one of the Dometic Dust Reduction Systems on the roof. Unfortunately Jayco have been spectacularly unhelpful in providing the plan for roof supports, and I was just wondering if anyone had a plan for their own roof they could share on here. Failing that, any tips (other than shoving a coat hanger through the foam) for how to figure out where things are lying? I've tried using a stud finder, but the results are a bit inconsistent, making me wonder if there might be some fine wires running through it.

I know @Moto Mech has done some amazing work installing his aircon system, if you're willing to share on here mate, what did you do to make sure you were cutting in a safe place, and what sort of reinforcement did you put around the hole?

Any ideas/suggestions/plans are very welcome!

Thanks

Russ

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Hi russman
Welcome to the site. Some of our "Knowledgeable Gurus" will be able to help you with that one.
I have the same van but it is with a repairer at the moment as I had moisture leaking in through the roof and cracking the lining. Hopefully insurance will take care of it.
I tell you this as reminder to make sure you use a VERY good quality sealant when you install your Dometic.
I had a Caravan dealer install two solar panels on my roof, about three years ago and the repairer seems to think this may be the cause of the problem.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
good advice from Disco Duck re sealants.Many straight polyurothanes now are breaking down in continual hot summers.I include Sikaflex.They also do not expand and contract enough.The copolymers are much better eg Soudal,Fixtech range etc.I would be very careful in putting much more weight on the poptop roof.Most Jayco poptop roofs have humps and bumps ,hollows all over them good for water pooling.My newly aquired sh 17.55 2015 poptop with air,solar ,tv antenna flexes a lot and has minute hairline cracks across both ends.I have just resealed the poptop roof with Soudal seal and stretch.Remember Jayco say this should be done around every three years.
I found a you tube video of a company fixing the same vans roof.interesting internals.

Last edited: