16' Series Roof Leak Behind Overhead Cupboard

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Over the Christmas period, I had a minor water leak which I wanted to ask the brains trust in the forum. The van is a 2015 1649-3 OB.

The front of the van was pretty level this trip where normally i have it slightly lower in the back, driver side corner directing rainwater away from beds or the awning.

There was an occasional drip behind my front overhead cabinet that dripped onto the lounge. To me, I don't believe it is coming through the hinge as I have a concealed gutter system (see attached) that channels water away. On previous rain events, this has worked really well, including in heavy rain so don't believe the hinge is the entry point.

Looking around the joints on the roof, there were a couple that were questionable and will be cut out and sealed through the winter.

Has anybody else had a minor drip coming either through the overhead cupboards OR behind it and where did you track it from its entry source.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: wally

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We did once and I realy can’t remember but i think is had something to do with the screws not being silasted and water making its way down the pop top section weeping though the screws

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Over the Christmas period, I had a minor water leak which I wanted to ask the brains trust in the forum. The van is a 2015 1649-3 OB.

The front of the van was pretty level this trip where normally i have it slightly lower in the back, driver side corner directing rainwater away from beds or the awning.

There was an occasional drip behind my front overhead cabinet that dripped onto the lounge. To me, I don't believe it is coming through the hinge as I have a concealed gutter system (see attached) that channels water away. On previous rain events, this has worked really well, including in heavy rain so don't believe the hinge is the entry point.

Looking around the joints on the roof, there were a couple that were questionable and will be cut out and sealed through the winter.

Has anybody else had a minor drip coming either through the overhead cupboards OR behind it and where did you track it from its entry source.
Hey Tony ..great idea with the gutter....I've got an 2015 16.49.1 and had a small leak in that area too...traced it to the clearance lights on the roof of the van...one was missing a bit of silicone on the top corner of the light, so i re-siliconed around both the lights and what do you know the leak stopped...did the rear as well..cheers Wal

ssm

Oct 7, 2015
Sydney
Not sure if it's the same but late last year on a trip we noticed a drip down the front right hand side. Coming down from the overhead cupboard. It appears the water was pooling near a joint in the roof. The silicon there was a bit ordinary. I think it was the first time the van had been leaning to the front right. Normally it leans towards the annex side so have never seen this issue before. It's taken some of the laminate off on the inside which is a bugger. However I've put a heap of new sikaflex on where I think the issue was and it seems water tight now.

I did let the dealer know but he didn't seem interested as I'd never had it serviced there. Like they would check for leaks :(
InkedIMG_4774_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_4778_crop_LI.jpg

Reactions: JT76 and Drover

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
The leak I had is about 120mm left of your red circle, I think on the same joint. Whilst away, I used cloth tape along that joint and typical, it didn't rain again to confirm whether the silicon on this joint was the issue.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On my 14 I used a scapel to gently slice the silastic and a perspex scaper to remove the stuff then resealed the whole thing after a good clean up, wasn't exactly sure where the leak was but it never leaked again....Used a sikaflex but need to get the right one or it will go rotten later on, can't recall which one though.

rvwizard

Feb 28, 2018
Melbourne
www.facebook.com
hello there,
with my experience in the industry, I would suggest to reseal the roof properly. we have done thousands of repairs over the years and below photo shows how a proper roof seal looks like after repair.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: Tonykarter15

sbignoux

Sep 26, 2023
Geelong

Hi Tony

Did you find where this leak was coming from . I have the same issue

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I had similar and resealed all around the panel above the bed and this fixed my problem. I think the water was gathering in the corner and leaking through.