16' Series Roof Interior

Turka

Nov 29, 2019
Como, Sydney
Expanda 2014 new. After the 3 year warranty period had a water leak unknown to me in the roof. Damaged the internal vinyl on the roof to a degree. Resealed the roof again but in the recent heat the vinyl has cracked more. Made inquiries re. insurance all to no avail as I didn't have the three year check. Cost of replacing the roof is 6 - 10 thousand dollars. Has any one out there completed a repair job on the interior vinyl roof. Would love to hear from you. There is no damage done to veneer board in roof. Thanks Terry

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A bit more info and some pics would help. What do you mean by internal vinyl ?

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi Terry,
Understand what you mean by flaking interior plastic skin, as in picture below-

If you are sure that the leak has been fixed and that the inner lining (ply or MDF or whatever it is) has dried thoroughly then I can’t see a problem with scraping the flaking bits and painting over it.
A moisture meter to check for dampness in that inner lining would be a good idea.
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 375
Reactions: Marv_mart

Labu-ndi

Apr 11, 2020
Buderim, Qld
Hi Terry
My Expanda had a leak that caused the inside paint to crack and flake off over an area of half a square metre.
The silicone sealer that goes around the top outside of the roof was professionally removed and replaced and the 4 corner plastic mouldings were also replaced and resealed.
That was 12 months ago and since then there has been no leak (the caravan is not kept under cover so is subject to whatever weather comes this way).
A commercial painter was employed to scrape only the cracked/flaking paint away, give the exposed timber ceiling panel a sanding, apply an acrylic undercoat/sealer and then apply the topcoat paint using a small foam plastic roller that resulted in a textured surface that blends in perfectly with the existing paint on the ceiling.
To match the colour a large flake of paint was taken to the paint shop.
The paint used is Haymes acrylic enamel ultratrim high gloss white. The label on the tin says 'Tinter C, J, L and the paint formula says '0, 0, 4/8, 0, 0, 5/8, 0, 1, 1/8.
I don't recall the cost of resealing but the painting cost $300, all up much cheaper than replacing the roof panel.
Unless you look very closely at the finished job you wouldn't guess that it wasn't original, I am very happy with it and keen to go caravaning again as soon as the C-19 crisis is over.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Way to go @Labu-ndi a good description of your repair, I did the same with my 14 for the external bits but didn't replace the corners just lifted and sealed or need to paint the inside caught mine before the leak started, i spotted the sealant fail.

Reactions: Crusty181