ROnEM's 3,500km Shakedown...

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
We set off on our first trip with the van on the Sunday straight after school holidays started. Departure was planned for 9am, however, after a few last minute work things came up, we finally got away at 11am.

After tugging for 580km on the first day, we pulled into the West Wyalong Caravan Park. All drive through sites, nice and clean and very friendly staff.

As we were approaching town, my wife asked the kids and I to each guess how long it will take to get the van set-up and ready once we are parked. Times varied from 18 mins (my guess) through to 40 mins (my wife).

Well, with everybody helping, especially the kids, we had everything set-up in 20 minutes - a real surprise actually! At all the other stops, there were too many things to distract the kids like jumping pillows, pools and friends, so other set-ups were usually about 30 minutes.

Over the course of the trip we stayed in West Wyalong, Dubbo, Warwick (QLD), just out of Byron Bay and then on the return trip, Gunnedah, Harden and finally home.

The van travelled about 3,500 kms without fault. No problems with brakes getting hot, wheel nuts or anything else mechanical. Only casualties on the trip were a nice bottle of red wine and one of the large drawers where a few of the very short screws holding the track fell out. The latter was fixed with some silicon into the screw hole and allowed to set overnight.

We have noticed when we cleaned the van out when we got home is at the right rear of the pop-top skirt that it has been rubbing against the gas strut and a very small hole has appeared. Will need to take this up under warranty.

All-in-all, buying the caravan has been one of the best things we have done. We all had a great time, and are looking forward to our next trip away.

The new 200 Series Cruiser did not miss a beat. While I have not done overall trip fuel consumption, daily it varied daily between 19 & 22 litres/100km - this was subject to headwinds and some of the hills on the New England Hwy on return from Byron Bay. We also travelled at the speed limit of 100 or 110 most of the time.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has shared their experiences and tips in preparing for trips.

Getting the wheels balanced before we set off...
Wheels Balanced.jpg

"Disco" Van as my wife calls it...
Setup @ Warwick.jpg

Breakfast as it should be, with some ring-ins!
Breakfast.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Great report Ro, love the pick of the "disco Van"
question for you, what made you decide to balance the wheels, have you heard of this being an issue. How did you find the balance when you pulled them off?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Great report Ro, love the pick of the "disco Van"
question for you, what made you decide to balance the wheels, have you heard of this being an issue. How did you find the balance when you pulled them off?

Holden_man - It was discussion on this very forum that made me get the wheels balanced as I learned that trailer/caravan tyres are not balanced as a rule. Two of the five wheels I had balanced were apparently out quite a bit; they have some large weights inside the rim now.

Given what I learned from other members of the forum about the possible issues with vibration, tyre wear and impact on bearings, I don't think it was a bad use of an hour and my hard earned $37 to get 5 tyres balanced. Better that than a shot bearing or something worse!

Cheers,

Rohan

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks Rohan,
Will be one of my jobs before the first trip, its certainly a relatively cheap bit of preventative maintenance, thanks for the info.

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice report Ro, glad you had no major issues and yeah the strip light looks pretty cool!

Cheers.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Thats a hell of a first trip - good one.

We did something like 3800km over the holidays too and like you I didn't realise that the wheels weren't balanced. They were before we left and although I couldn't notice anything different it can't be bad for the bearings etc.

I left those stupid hub covers off so I could check the nuts easily. On the 1st day I had to nip them up a bit at each stop but after that always tight.

Done 7800 km in total in our 1st 12 months of owning it with about 1500km coming up over Christmas.

Set up is great - we can go from packed up to all up with all annex walls done in about 40 minutes; 25-30 without the walls. All done at a leisurely pace too!

I think back to the Eagle and well..............!