Reversing Camera Options

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day everyone,

Has anyone installed a reversing camera on their expanda?

Would the Camera be best above the hard lid on the rear or the number plate? I have no idea what the difference would be. I'm not confident about drilling into fiberglass, too many stories about cracking it..

I've seen a lot of negative feedback about the wireless ones - has anyone fitted one with success?

Appreciate your advice,

Cheers,

Glenn

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes I have managed to do this.
When I was working out how I would go about installing the camera I had a few thoughts in mind.
1. I wanted to have a screen in the car that went over the existing rear vision mirror. The theory with that was that it was natural for me to look up in that direction to see behind me.
2. I offset my camera on the back of the van to the side closest to the center of the road. The theory here was that i was not as interested with the side of the road as much as what was happening down the center in passing lanes etc...
3. I wanted my screen to always be on. This effectively rendered my side mirrors as not required. I now only use them in emergency.

In terms of drilling in the fiberglass, I drillled a hole slightly too small and filed the rest out. But drilling is the easy bit. Somehow you need to thread that wire through the cavity behing the fiberglass and to the front of the van. Offsetting the camera made this easier. I ran the cable under the van and went though the 12 pin plug. Once in the car I ran the cables behind the plastic panelling trim inside the car till I got to the front of the car.
I used the automotive clips used in car pannels to secure the camera to the caravan. These are like u shaped clips with a thread drilled into them.
Anyway, lots I can say here. Make sure you understand the difference between a CMOS and CCD camera. CCD is better. And also understand infrared characteristics for seeing in the dark.
Take a look at the post below with a pic of the camera.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/730-16.49-1b-mods

Reactions: shadow75

wanderer20

Dec 20, 2011
South Australia
Hi Shadow 75?
I have installed a camera on the rear of my 17.56-2 which has its own 5.8" screen in the car
Whilst you can get the very best of mirrors I have found that there is nothing like a camera to see what is going on behind you.
I still use the mirrors as a supliment to the camera. I installed the camera on the van myself but got a aoto elect to fit the car stuff. To techno for me. I found the van side to be very easy and had no problems with cracking the fiberglass.

Purchased camera from "safety Dave" in Melbourne(just google safety dave) and found him to be very good. He has a YouTube video on how to install the camera and it just happens to be on an Expanda.
http://www.safetydave.com.au/howtoguides3.php
hope this helps

Bill

Reactions: Deano

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I recently installed a camera system to my mates 16.49-3 and his Patrol.
We fitted a clip over monitor mirror into the tug with 2 inputs and put a camera in the rear door of the Patrol and a camera above the hardlid on the Expanda.
He can manually switch between the 2 whilst on the move if need be.

I will be fitting the same camera to mine next month or so (when I can find some spare time). My current car already has a factory reverse camera and I will dispay the image on the factory screen.

I got all mine from here. Great service and after sales support too!!..
The camera
http://www.brashimports.com.au/Round white.htm

The mirror monitor
http://www.brashimports.com.au/BI4318A.htm

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Hi Matty4
How did you run your cable for your rear camera, from the top of the van to the chassis? I've bought the same camera and was hoping to install it this weekend but having looked at the safety Dave install video, I'm not keen on running the cable inside the van. Do you or anyone else reading this, know if there is enough room to run a cable in the same place as the top rear running lights wires run down to the chassis, from the factory? Or is there a better way to run the cable inside the van?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Cheers. All done today, I did the same as you running the cable through the van, with the other wiring, until I found an existing, suitable exit hole through the floor. I didn't really want to drill more holes in the floor. Just got to wire up the car now. :)