Interior Replacing Seals in Shower / Toilet

LeeDoc

Apr 23, 2017
Branxton
Has anyone had the seals and caulking redone in their bathroom/ Toiiet? If so is this a diy job for someone half handy or is it wise to get the pro's to do it (and if so how much $).
I have a 2011 Expanda 17.56.2 (non-ob). Also the fold down sink part has yellowed with age - has anyone replaced this? (thinking if I'm getting the re-sealing done might bite the bullet and replace the sink). Any advice is welcome.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I recently fitted an electric ventilator to the toilet which meant removing and resealing.

The toilet was a bit fiddly to seal as the edges are flexible and move around a bit, but managed to get a reasonable finish with the help of some sealant applicators from the big green shed.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Using a 40VOL mixture of hair stuff is supposed to whiten the yellow plastic if you Google it you should find the instructions on how to do it, way cheaper than replacing the unit, I was going to try it out but sold the van before I had the chance...............I assume you mean sealing the toilet area in the shower ????? I would track down some plastic edging a bit bigger than what is used or similar if possible ,as using silastic, sika etcwill eventually come apart from one edge just due to the flexing of walls and the unit, at least thats what i found, an expandable joint is needed.

LeeDoc

Apr 23, 2017
Branxton
Using a 40VOL mixture of hair stuff is supposed to whiten the yellow plastic if you Google it you should find the instructions on how to do it, way cheaper than replacing the unit, I was going to try it out but sold the van before I had the chance...............I assume you mean sealing the toilet area in the shower ????? I would track down some plastic edging a bit bigger than what is used or similar if possible ,as using silastic, sika etcwill eventually come apart from one edge just due to the flexing of walls and the unit, at least thats what i found, an expandable joint is needed.

LeeDoc

Apr 23, 2017
Branxton
Thanks Drover - I'll certainly try the hairspray trick! And yes it's the seals in the toilet / shower combo unit - sounding a bit tricky for me, I think il get a quote from the pro's (you're right the movement is an issue)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry about it, mine had been serviced by the professionals (??????) and it was just a big silastic job, glad I never paid for it to be done. You really need to mark the wall with pencil around the toilet then remove the vanity and toilet, sticky back weather seal works around the vanity and a bigger version around the toilet following the pencil mark you made, stick it to the wall after cleaning down with metho, that should cover the gap and any expansion..............at the same time you can do a good seal on the dunny so it won't run back into the van.......................I did a fix up on mine but should have removed the lot, only made more work for myself....I think a job by a van mob would be expensive as a lot of labour involved and they would just use a box of silastic so the problem would reappear later.