Electrical Replacing running lights on penguin

alanb

Oct 10, 2012
Mornington peninsula vic
Front running lights( hope that's right name) on penguin have detiorated to the point they need replacing, plastic has become very brittle and breaks very easily. Is this a simple job to replace unit by a person who has no idea about wiring up anything or should it be done by an expert / caravan repairer.

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
As you would be changing over what is already there it is not a difficult thing to do. You certainly do not need an expert to do it. When you say you have no idea about wiring up anything, it would be a matter of connecting the new lights the same as the existing ones. If you are not that confident with tools in hand then it might be better to get a mate in who is to give you a hand. Don't want to create more work by breaking things.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @alanb

they are not hard to do, funny enough, Jayco sell replacements that fit and plug in

all you need to do is get the new ones,
unscrew the old ones, pull the wires out - gently, and un plug, and plug in new ones
then feed the wiring back inside the Van, and screw the new lights in

well, thats what I did with my 2007 Flamingo

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
unscrew the old ones, pull the wires out - gently, and un plug, and plug in new ones
What @bigcol said...... Not sure where they are mounted on the penguin and if the same as an expanda don't let the cable/s slip back inside the hole when cutting them!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I didnt have to cut mine, as they were just plugged in........

best you unscrew one and gently pull the wiring @alanb to see if there is a plug or a joiner or whatever....

do this first............

Reactions: dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
welcome @alanb

they are not hard to do, funny enough, Jayco sell replacements that fit and plug in

well, thats what I did with my 2007 Flamingo
So what you are saying is that at some time Jayco decided it was too easy if our 2013 van is an example.
You now have the following steps.
1. There is no access to the wiring for these lights from the inside.
2. You will have to destroy the existing light as the hole that the wiring disappears in to is filled with silicone and it's impossible to pull enough of the wiring through to remove light to access screws of mounting plate behind.
3. If you're lucky enough they have skimped on the silicone and you may be able to cut enough away to gently pull the wiring out.
4. If you are unlucky enough tugging on the wires will result in pulling the connectors apart well inside somewhere you can't access.
5. If you can't pull any wiring out you will have to cut and join with connectors in what little space you have managed to create by cutting away some of the copious silicone.
6. If you have completed the job by what ever means you will then find that the Jayco Dealer sold you the wrong colour light.
7. Go back to Dealer.
8. Repeat what ever situation you now have from the above.
9. Debate possibility of fitting old fashioned globe lights and carry spares that are cheaper and more widely available.
In my case it was Steps 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 8 and 4 was very likely as well as 9 being considered.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ahhhhhh like most Jayco Vans, every one is put together differently than the plans.....

I busted the outer lens on mine.......
unscrewed the 2 screws
pulled the backing & rubber seal away
gently pulled the 4 miles of wire up untill I came to a plug
unplugged
plugged in new light (with the rubber seal attached)
re-fed the wiring back down inside
re-screwed the 2 screws
walked away happy

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
ahhhhhh like most Jayco Vans, every one is put together differently than the plans.....

I busted the outer lens on mine.......
unscrewed the 2 screws
pulled the backing & rubber seal away
gently pulled the 4 miles of wire up untill I came to a plug
unplugged
plugged in new light (with the rubber seal attached)
re-fed the wiring back down inside
re-screwed the 2 screws
walked away happy
That deserves a DISlike button