Electrical Relocating the battery to the rear of 17.56-2

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Hi, I recently fitted a toolbox to the drawbar and now I have to rebalance the load to help the ball weight. I was thinking of relocating the battery to the storage area under the rear bed. Can anyone see any issues with this as it will be around 2.5m away from the seated system? Any issues putting batteries under beds? The battery is a 100amp agm that came with the van. Thanks.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Can't see any real issues.

I'd suggest installing some terminal blocks where the battery used to be in order to connect all of the existing wiring, and running very heavy cable back to the battery at its new location to avoid voltage drop.

I ran some 12mm cables back to my 2nd battery when I installed it under the club lounge so as to keep the weight over the wheels.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
There should be no problem putting the battery under the bed, thats where they fit them standard on the Journey and many other models, I moved ours from under bed to under the L shape lounge in our 17.55.8 Journey and could reuse all original wiring buy pulling it back through and reconecting

Reactions: dagree

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
It is located under the dinette which is just in front of the wheels. The ball weight with the new toolbox empty is around 265kg so I am trying to get this down to around 230kg so I can put 50kg payload in the toolbox and still have 20kg spare. Our Triton has 300kg max ball weight. Cheers.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Moving it to the rear should give you a couple of Kg but try to site it in the middle at the back for balance.......don't have my slide rule but moving the battery to the back may just make up for the empty box if it's further to the rear of the axles than the box is forward of the axles but then the gain is larger for single axles than tandems.........
I assume your going by actual scale weights not just whats on some tag or plate.
Adding or moving a water tank gives you are far better means of moving/balancing loads by shifting water around.
I've used jerry cans of water to test things out, moving them around to see what happens is vastly easier than dismantling something for no gain.

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Drover, I have been checking the weight with a tow ball scales. Funny you suggested an extra water tank, I was looking to see if I could fit one and I think I can. I was looking to see if I could mount a Jerry can holder on the rear bar but the new Expanda's don't have much room between the lights and the number plate. I could relocate the number plate to the rear bar maybe. Mounting 20kg on the rear bar would fix my weight issue.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeah it can be tricky, try using jerry's of water in differn't spots and see what happens is far easier but any weight moving you must keep it low as possible, the higher you go can make other problems, with the battery in the middle leave it there and put something of equal weight where you would like to move it, then can see if there's any gain without any pain.

Reactions: Dobbie

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Great idea, I will give that a go. I watched that video showing the effects of moving weights around, it can make a big difference in the way it tows. Thanks Drover.

Reactions: Drover and Tone