Just Browsing Ratchet or electric jockey wheel

Gemanji

Apr 12, 2017
Waikiki
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to caravanning and we just bought a 2017 jayco expanda outback. Our side access is a bit weird in shape so just need to let the caravan in, put in the jockey and push it backwards to where it should be. It's all concrete though. Am wondering what can help us best moving it around, a ratchet or an electric dolly?
In saying that, i think i would need that to be working well with grass as well, with parking at caravan parks, being a newbie i don't know how i will fare with reversing it on the spot. Got our first gig this friday at Pemberton WA, new van, newbie driver... good luck to me

Would appreciate advices...

Cheers!

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree with @mfexpanda ...we found the ratchet type of wheel unreliable. I think it would be ok for a light camper trailer but the van was difficult to move with it. We gave it away!

Have a similar access issue so did a bit of research a couple of years ago and ended up with with an optitech caravan mover.

We didn't want to carry it, didn't want something permanently on van (very heavy) but something we could easily attach to get the van in the shed and something simple.

Have a look at the Opitech...around the $2k mark. They'd be a pain to use in a caravan park as you'd have to stop, change the jockey wheel, hook it up to 12v power and then use it to get the van in.

It'd do it but it could be more effort than going to a park with the van and practising your reversing skills.

Good luck with it and :welcome:

Reactions: bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Like the two above, I have a ratchet type which is buried somewhere in my shed as it just does not do the job, especially on grass or on a slope. I just had to learn to back in van parks.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on the tyre if the ratchet will be any use on grass..................................powered units are heavy and expensive plus a lot of ginning around....
Fit tow ball to front of tug works a treat, it doesn't have to be rated or that sort of thing just fitted in the middle and you can push it in with the tug, makes things easy.

If you can find an empty car park or showground, put some markers out and practice reversing, it will be well worth it as you could need the skill not just at Van Parks but at garages and for the wrong road situation, if you have a box trailer reverse it around a lot to get the hang of just using mirrors and guessing where the off side is, less damage that way and can build up to the big rig.

rekinds

Apr 29, 2014
Campbelltown
Those rachet wheels are no good for anything more that a tinny boat
You'll just have to bite the bullet and practice your reversing skills
Every park will test you for a while
But the day you drive up a half kilometer inclined bending road just to find someone has locked the gate and there's no acces will give you all the practice you need, after that everything's a breeze

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Gemanji

Apr 12, 2017
Waikiki
Thank you all for your advices.
We came back last night from our first caravan trip. The caretaker of the park is very accommodating. When i told her that i am a newbie in caravan driving she put us apart from the rest and i took all time that i needed to position the caravan without anyone watching
I guess i was lucky this time as i know this will not be always the case.
Anyone got a recommendation as to what dolly works best on pavers?

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Depends if you have a single axle or tandem. I have a single axle and use a Aussie Mover to turn m van around in the back yard ands then reverse into the car port. Abviously not suitable to take to parks , but ideal for your backing the van down your side access.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
The Aussie Wheel is the same. You just lower the hitch onto the ball of the unit and using a 12v supply (I put an andersonb plug out the front of the draw bar) and use the handle to direct/move the van. They have a very low gearing. Allows me to turn van in the length of the van and then push back into carport.
http://aussiewheel.com.au
I bought mine 2nd hand - so maybe check out gumtree etc.