Rant

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Something that really annoys me and a lot of people with kids is mostly Grey Nomads but not just them, sit on their 85-90 km/hr on the open Hwy, they say they aren't in a hurry to get anywhere but in caravan parks are happy to do 3-4 times the park limit with kids around. Why can't they just slow down, should be in 1st gear not much more than idle not changing into 3rd gear like some do. Rant over.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Well... Mine is the opposite, though I certainly agree that if a park sign says "walking pace" it should be 3 km hour as per nomad pace.

My observation is that if a park sign says 5 km hour, and many have one way roads for cars and kids, why then are kids on bikes allowed to do 30km hour in the opposite direction?

As for the open road, many can't do above 80km hour as they've got everything they own loaded in or on their vans and cars.....so fast movement is impossible.

That's my rant for the day!

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Well personally I don't mind people doing 80-90 ks it is the ones that do 95 and then speed up to 115 when it turns to an overtaking lane and then back to 95 once it is finished that annoy me! Actually saying they annoy me is an understatement, at the end of a long day it causes me to ponder about wilfully touching their rear bumper with my bullbar:ballchain:.

As for parks, I haven't seen too many hoons in them. I like to think of them as shared zones and I stop for kids and hope that others do the same for mine. Although mine are only 4 and 6 so they still listen to me and get off the road when they see a car moving but give them a couple of years and no doubt they will start to push it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
we just idle through a park no right foot. Yes some drive way too fast normally those in cabins :) Why I prefer our kids not to just take off.
My eldest has the least road sense :) :(
Although still if I am doing my slow pace, not sure how many times a kid over takes me then cuts me off on their bike/scooter.
Like they really really want me to run them over.

The 80k in a 110 zone and 20 trucks and cars behind them does annoy me, although a lot do not have mirrors so see nothing behind them. :)
We get a lot of cyclists around our back streets same thing 3-4 abreast and do not care who is behind them.
Frustrates you as well and then someone will overtake either when there is no space and crap happens.

Reactions: Dobbie

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
Yep all of the above most annoying like @davemc says speeding up in overtaking zones then sitting back to 80 km/ hr. It's important that people have a uhf or look in their mirrors. Most times when we see a queue especially trucks talk to them that you will pull over or let them go they usually know the next overtaking area better than you. As for speeding in CP yes cabin people and few oldies they usually don't do it again after a few words have been said to them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having been the recipient of ignorant drivers more than I care to recall I always try to help others on the road, since I can talk Truckie I will speed up if need be then call them thru at a good spot, backing off once they pull out....mind I do get the *it's when I'm doing a $ and some jerk overtakes me with a van or boat...........................I also detest catching up with some dawdler who doesn't know what mirrors are for doing 80, 85 with a van, I have to sit way back so I don't create more hassle, if I know the road I'll time it right to roar past, but The Ute with Big Mal on the back makes about 50ft so takes a bit, usually pull over for a cuppa............Stay off the highways makes it easier.

Reactions: mikerezny

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
My rant was really about caravan park speeders with their 6t setups when they say their not in a hurry.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well... Mine is the opposite, though I certainly agree that if a park sign says "walking pace" it should be 3 km hour as per nomad pace.

My observation is that if a park sign says 5 km hour, and many have one way roads for cars and kids, why then are kids on bikes allowed to do 30km hour in the opposite direction?

As for the open road, many can't do above 80km hour as they've got everything they own loaded in or on their vans and cars.....so fast movement is impossible.

That's my rant for the day!
Your retired @Dobbie, what the hell are you doing in a c/park when kids are around. I have kids and I don't want to be there. As for them riding at 30kmh ..... bit of envy ???? :boink:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
None of the above!

I was there because I was exercising my constitutional right to visit some places I'd always wanted to see, just like many others! Yep, they're tourist traps, far more busy in school holidays and ridiculously expensive but I don't feel that those places are just for screaming kids.

I am part of the population, I spend my hard earned on doing normal things and that does not include having to tolerate poorly behaved, self indulgent and indulged little darlings ....I can tolerate most things but the world is not designed primarily for kids, with everyone else a poor second.

and I know the world changes and kids are important and need physical outlets and encouraging but what's wrong with encouraging them to fit in with other people?

and it is envy that they can ride around at 30 kms but when I'm staggering back from a bushwalking meander, desperately looking forward to a drink I resent being almost run over because I was observing the signs.

but I will certainly avoid places with an excessive kid population.

(I actually like kids...some of them...it's some of the parents I can't stand. I used to be a kid once!)

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
None of the above!

I was there because I was exercising my constitutional right to visit some places I'd always wanted to see, just like many others! Yep, they're tourist traps, far more busy in school holidays and ridiculously expensive but I don't feel that those places are just for screaming kids.

I am part of the population, I spend my hard earned on doing normal things and that does not include having to tolerate poorly behaved, self indulgent and indulged little darlings ....I can tolerate most things but the world is not designed primarily for kids, with everyone else a poor second.

and I know the world changes and kids are important and need physical outlets and encouraging but what's wrong with encouraging them to fit in with other people?

and it is envy that they can ride around at 30 kms but when I'm staggering back from a bushwalking meander, desperately looking forward to a drink I resent being almost run over because I was observing the signs.

but I will certainly avoid places with an excessive kid population.

(I actually like kids...some of them...it's some of the parents I can't stand. I used to be a kid once!)
Its their acopia parents that are the problem lol

Reactions: davemc and Drover