Interior Push button latch problems

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Our Starcraft is suffering from having a majority of those push button latches on the cupboards not working or taking close to a dozen attempts to open - what would the odds be of receiving a bad batch of latches be?

This should be a warranty claim but I'm wondering to save me hitching the van up and traveling to the dealer if it sounds reasonable for me to offer to take one of the offending latches with footage of the others up to them to assess & then book the van for all the repairs/replacement to occur?

How have others approached a dealer so as to avoid a PIA journey to the towing the van?

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Check that the strike plates on the cupboard itself doesn't just need a slight tweak. I had to do mine a bit. Usually just bending them a fraction will work.

BJ.

Reactions: Billnjim

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I hate to tell you @Billnjim, most of ours in the old Expanda needed to take a few goes at latching. The top draw one was like playing the old arcade games like street fighter trying to pull of a "kill move"... They are a stupid design I reckon, and after seeing the latches in the NA we're getting which are a simple pin and catch mechanism, there are better solutions.

We never brought it up with the dealer, primarily because I heard it was pretty widespread problem and our van was secondhand. If they are particularly troublesome or you bought the van new, I'd speak up. Otherwise, might be easier (and cheaper) to do a DIY solution.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I don't have a Jayco but my van has similar hassles. I'm slowly replacing plastic striker plates with custom aluminium angle filed to suit and set "just right" to work.

Reactions: Drover and Billnjim

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Same issues for us. Adjust the plate. And hold your tongue to the left....! Works for me.
(I also tend to 'flick' them open rather than press them in).

Reactions: Billnjim

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
We never brought it up with the dealer, primarily because I heard it was pretty widespread problem and our van was secondhand. If they are particularly troublesome or you bought the van new, I'd speak up. Otherwise, might be easier (and cheaper) to do a DIY solution.

Bought the van new earlier this year so might just speak up before trying to attempt fixing myself - will call them in the morning..............and post how I go.

Reactions: Sammy D

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Check that the strike plates on the cupboard itself doesn't just need a slight tweak. I had to do mine a bit. Usually just bending them a fraction will work.

BJ.

When I eventually get the cupboard open the latch on the door still jams/freezes when I push the button back in to test it whilst holding the door open if that makes sense?

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I had one that was causing me problems, ended up taking it out and popped the white plastic backing off. There is a cam kinda arrangement which moves side to side as you push the latch in and out. I quick squirt of silicon spray and it's now perfect.

Only takes a minute to do and our van is newish but the fix was quicker then the time it would take me to hook the van up, let alone take it to the dealer.

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Agree with jt76 pull it apart bit tricky at first pull the white cam thingy out and stretch it a bit silicon spray it prob fixed

Reactions: Jags73

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They were crap 7 yrs ago and nothing has changed it seems............as stated earlier it is the striker plate which is usually the problem, taking it in will be a waste of time, they will sometimes pack out a striker with small nuts or end up chipping the frame...
@peterg has the right idea,

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I have found there are two issues, one the striker plate doesn't line up. This is an easy fix. The other is with the door/drawer open the catch does not always go in and out, this is when removing the back and giving it a squirt with silicon spray will fix it. If you open the door and can push the button in and out and the little thing moves in and out every time and feels good then there is no need to pull it apart.

Reactions: Billnjim and Drover

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
I replaced 2 of my push button catch assy & all good now,
The old ones were rattly as if something was broken, so apart they come.
The fix was to stretch the 2 springy tabs on the white plastic slide locking thingo, now I have 2 good working spares
DSCN0447.JPG
The white plastic slide on left, the 2 little legs were stretched out, no more rattles & works
DSCN0448.JPG

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
I have only had hassles with one of our drawers so it is good to read about the ins and outs of them.

The one I had hassles with just wouldn't open and I spent about 15 minutes wriggling the front of the drawer this way and that way and up and down and round and round and was so frustrated and about to do my block when it popped open. I have emptied that drawer and was going to mention it at the first service but now I have read this I might will have a squiz myself and might even give the rest of them a little prevention spray of silicone.

Reactions: Jags73 and Billnjim