17' Series Problems with fridge running on gas?

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Has anyone had any issues? We picked up our expanda last friday and we went bush this weekend. Fridge was working fine on AC but when switched to gas the temperature got hotter and hotter, pilot light was lit and the exhaust was hot but fridge was not cooling down. Temperature guage was set at four. Any ideas? Anyone had any dealings with dometic?

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
We had the same problem with ours but that was due to a jet being slightly blocked, there was still a flame but flickered yellow and orange and the fridge got slowly warmer.

Took it apart and cleaned the jet hole and worked a treat, not sure if this could be the problem with yours being so new.

Christian

Reactions: Four of us

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
We had a problem with our fridge intermitantly on both electricity and gas. The dealer put it under test and it worked perfectly at the start although the problem did become apparent eventualy.
They simply replaced the fridge so I didn't get the final verdict.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Thanks for the replies, the dometic guy came out today and everything seemed to be working fine. He is questioning whether its a regulator problem, if not the fridge is getting pulled out for further investigation.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The gas regulators are renowned for failing all of the time. I have read on many caravan forums that people are always having problems with these LPG regulators even from new.

Once you get your regulator replaced, light the stove first and then try and light your fridge. I find this the best way because buy lighting the stove first, it then bleeds all of the air out of the lines then presto the fridge will usually light first pop.

Skip

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
The gas regulators are renowned for failing all of the time. I have read on many caravan forums that people are always having problems with these LPG regulators even form new.

Once you get your regulator replaced, light the stove first and then try and light your fridge. I find this the best way because buy lighting the stove first, it then bleeds all of the air out of the lines then presto the fridge will usually light first pop.

Skip

yep.. definately bleed your gas lines, I find it works much better when I put the BBQ on, as it is the last outlet after the fridge. I beleive that the stove is second after the hot water unit.

Reactions: skippy

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Jayco sent out a new regulator today. But it still didn't fix the problem. When it runs on ac the fridge runs at about 2 deg. We have turned the ac off and put it back on gas and the temp is slowly getting hotter. So the dometic guy said he will try and fit a new thermostat in it tomorrow and we will try that... Not a good start to our new van..

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Teething problems are heart breaking with a new toy, believe me I know!

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted soon and you have many years of happy Expandaing (new word i invented) ahead of you!

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We have had ongoing problems with our fridge running on gas.. well it doesn't run on gas at all. The van is only 3 weeks old. We have had a guy from Dometic looking at the fridge and now he doesn't know whats wrong with it.. We have been told we have to return the van to Jayco and dometic is going to arrange another guy to look at the fridge.

To replace the fridge with a new one the expanda end has to be removed from the van and that is the only way the fridge can come out as the fridge is to big to be removed through the door. What a pain in the a*se. So now we have to take our van back to Jayco and try to get this fridge fixed.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Instead of removing the end wall maybe suggest to the to remove the pop top and crane it through. At least the foor isn't so structural as the the end wall.

Hopefully the other technican can sort it out 1st though before that happens

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Spoke to Jayco today and they said they will remove the bed end and Dometic will have to replace the fridge. Apparently this is the only way to remove the fridge.