Problem with 12V in 16.49 expanda

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Thanks Geoff,

Had a look at ebay, but the bidding had closed. Also a bit iffy at second hand electronics in case it has a similar problem.

I installed the new one today so all is well there with no loose connections, and then stripped down the old one. Part of the spade terminal block has been completely blown away. It doesn't look as if there is other damage, but I have no way of establishing that. If I can find a replacement for the terminal block I'll have a go at fixing it and see what happens, just for the exercise.

John

IMG_0237.JPGIMG_0238.JPG

Terminal block is left hand bottom side of board. Second terminal is now just a hole where it should be.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Looks repairable to me. Google a Company called "Module Repair Services". They are located in Ringwood in Victoria. I have had stuff worse than that repaired by them. If they look at it and its stuffed, they generally dont charge. Most repairs are $80 to $125 with a 12 month guarantee.

Geoff

Reactions: Tailor

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
This issue seems to have had some sort of upside. Have installed the new setec, and originally thought the Aux connection was for the 12v fridge.

Having to do a proper check of the wiring then found out that the fridge is never run from the battery because of the amount it draws, and needs a seperate feed from the tow vehicle and only to run it when the engine is running. Nothing in any instructions I got with the van, but still feel foolish for not realising this. I also gather Jayco usually supply vans with a 12 pin trailer plug, or is this an optional extra. Mine only had a 7 pin small round plug.

Now to get the van back and really go through the wiring, including that mess behind the alloy cover underneath. Hopefully will then have it under control.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have been wondering about the same. I have been trying to find out what is better, 12 pin or Anderson. It seems that Anderson plug is the best for fridge connection but 12 pin is still adequate and neater in appearance. A friend of mine picked up a new caravan (not Jayco) and they cut off his Anderson and wired it to a new 12 pin. 12 pin can give you up to 25 amps on the fridge line while Anderson is 50amp (higher if needed/different plugs). Stand to be corrected, found this out last night while site was down. I want to pre wire our car before we get van. I think I will go with Andersons.
A friend put me onto this site which has a bit of info and diy kits.
http://www.sidewinder.com.au/
Dont let the smoke out of the wires Tailor.:p Cheers Geoff

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
maccayak,

Thanks for the sidewinder link. I'd been trying to find that.

I prefer the Anderson plug, as it will give 50 amps, especially if using heavier cable and correct fuse. I've used 10mm2 which should avoid voltage drop. With the neat housing I just discovered, I was mostly interested in keeping sand out, but it also has the advantage of looking quite neat. I'm hoping to fit this, this weekend. (Unless I find other goodies at the show which use up my time). I have a phobia about under sized cable, and if possible I like tinned wire also, as it tends to less oxidisation in salt water environments.

IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

My current wire connections. L to R. Large 7 pin, added this to use heavier wire for electric brakes. Small 7 pin, 50amp Anderson (soon to be put in housing), Rear camera connection.

Just had a thought. I use the Anderson plug to charge the battery in the van. Also have a 120w portable solar panel, and have put an Anderson plug on the lead, so I can plug into the same connection on the van. Haven't had a chance to try it, but as the regulator is on the panel I think it should work OK.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Just had a thought. I use the Anderson plug to charge the battery in the van. Also have a 120w portable solar panel, and have put an Anderson plug on the lead, so I can plug into the same connection on the van. Haven't had a chance to try it, but as the regulator is on the panel I think it should work OK.

Done that on my setup. Works fine.

Reactions: Tailor