Privacy Screens

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
When we got our expanda the privacy screens where attached when they opened the bed ends.

For the life of me I can not remember how they where done up to not interfere with the canvas bed ends.

Does everyone else leave there privact screens attached when packing up?

If so how do you pack them up to not interfere with the canvas?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Dion

I made my screens myself and my storage of them was built into the design, but I suppose the principle is the same for anyone. Amongst other things, I drilled holes in each of the gas strut brackets (on the hard lid) and tied shock cord across to drape the screens over. Very effective has no real labour content. I'm big on not adding to the work load.

Cheers, Ross

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Gday Ross, we finally figured it out :)

The ones that come on the hard lid model have studs pressed into the hard lid to fix the privacy screen to.

There is an intricate method of folding the privacy screen up into a pack so when you close the lid you don't have to take them off.

I actually let the wife fiddle with it for a while and she figured out the folding method. Don't know the specific I just get told which way to do it but ill be buggered if i can do it myself :)

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Gday Ross, we finally figured it out :)

The ones that come on the hard lid model have studs pressed into the hard lid to fix the privacy screen to.

There is an intricate method of folding the privacy screen up into a pack so when you close the lid you don't have to take them off.

I actually let the wife fiddle with it for a while and she figured out the folding method. Don't know the specific I just get told which way to do it but ill be buggered if i can do it myself :)

Hi there

I was thinking of purchasing the privacy screens but I was wondering how you find them are they worth the money

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi Skippy, absolutely love my privacy screens!

They keep the heat out and the rain and are permanently attached so its simple and quick to set them up when opening the hatch.

The also allow you to open all your canvas windows and not have prying eyes looking in...

Ordered the new 17.56.2 and had them put in the order as well!

Wal

Aug 5, 2010
Fitting Privacy Screens

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and fairly new to going on extended trips with a van.

We have an 2009 Expanda 16-49.1HL ordered at the caravan show last year and took delivery in July 2009.
1st big trip coming up about 10,000 km's over 80 days.
We need to fit privacy screens as we have heard the canvas gets wet in the rain if you don't.
Are they easy to fit DIY or do I need them done professionally?
Also are the black screens as made by Jayco the only ones available or are there others in Perth who make them?
Fitted my own CD/stereo a couple of months ago in overhead cupboard.
Any hints where to buy a good battery at the right price?

Quicky

Aug 15, 2010
G'day All, I am also new to the forum. I fitted the Jayco privacy screens myself which was not too difficult, however I believe if available a higher grade of press dud would allow greater integrity to the fitting. I am also going to explore the possibily of using a different material to make my own. One of the benfits of the privacy screen is the extra insulation. We recently camped (Queens Birthday Long Weekend) at Yarrangobilly River just off the Snowy Mountain Highway, Friday night it sleeted, Saturday night temperature dropped to -10 with everything in the van frozen, Sunday installed privacy screens and that night had a far more comfortable night even though temperatures were again around -10.

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
I have just bought the screens and hope to fit them myself this w/e. to the diy er - do you drill a pilot hole them use a pop gun to put the studs in place?
What about the big black round knob (the one that holds the elastic down) on the bottom did you you a long screw (obviously not to big to go all the way through) or maybe a small head bolt maybe better mmmm - have to think about that one....

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all

Does the privacy screen unbutton if needed? Say it was wet and you didn't want to fold it closed against the bed end wet

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi all

Does the privacy screen unbutton if needed? Say it was wet and you didn't want to fold it closed against the bed end wet

Hi Jim, welcome to Expanda land :D

The privacy screens fold back into lid and don't come in contact with the canvas once the bed is in the closed postion

ExpandaDave

Apr 15, 2011
Hi all I posted some detail in another thread about my canvas "storm covers" which I had mad to the same pattern as the privacy screens. The insulate and never (yet) allow water through cheers