Power problem after lightning

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
The other day during a storm some lightning hit pretty close to my house, I dont think it hit my house, it tripped 2 safety switches out of the 4 power circuts in my fuse box. My adsl modem router was the only casulty on one of the circuts and my van was plugged into the shed circut. Everything in the van works fine when plugged into 240 but whe you unplug that and turn the battery on theres nothing. All the proper lights are on when its on 240 battery light is on like its charging ect. But no power coming from batt to power van. All fuses are checked and ok. Is there any fuses between batterry and stec thing you cant access without taking cover off? Or is there something in the stec thing that detects power from batt thats fried? Like i said the transformer from 240 to 12v seems to be working. Any ideas? And how expensive are they if its cactus? And when the 240v switches off the fault light flashes 3 times.

Last edited:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
What battery light is on ? Is it the one on the face of the Setec? or the one one the double power point surge unit the the Setec plugs into.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
That light is on. Everthing works the same as it did with 240 plugged in turn it off and nothing. All 12 volts work when plugged into power so i figure the transformer is working. But when 240 is switched off fault flashes 3 times. The manual says its fuses which are all good (the ones on front and in batt box) or it says shut down condition what ever that means. I dont have a multi metre with me either to test the batt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 217

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
That light is on. Everthing works the same as it did with 240 plugged in turn it off and nothing. All 12 volts work when plugged into power so i figure the transformer is working. But when 240 is switched off fault flashes 3 times. The manual says its fuses which are all good (the ones on front and in batt box) or it says shut down condition what ever that means. I dont have a multi metre with me either to test the batt.

Ok, that's a newer version to my 2010 model, mine only has the "Fault" light

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
All fuses that can b accessed are good. Ill pull the setec out and have a look when i get home. I think there is a fuse somewhere i am missing. Because if i connect to the car the 12 volts works. The fuse near positive terminal is ok. There might be another one hidden some where

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Keep an eye on all your appliances and try things like heaters and coolers that may not have been used for a while. It can take people a while to find what appliances may heve been damaged.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah all fuses are good. I
Pulled the ctec out this arvo when i got home. I am getting power from battery to the setec but nothing coming out the other side. Everything works on 240 so the transformer is good. I think the little do dat thingy that detects wether the 12 volts is coming from the transformer or the battery and switches it accordingly is prob stuffed. Does anyone no how much they cost to replace ctec? it will b an insurance job i suppose if its to much.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @fishinglizard, if it's your setec it sounds like it might be a component inside that's probably worth bugger all, I recon a good tv repair bloke could find and fix the problem. Maybe worth a shot rather than forking out for a new one!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Insurance claim? I know a great electronics repair company. Module Repair Services, they are in Melbourne but people post them stuff all the time. A wiring diagram would be needed but I think the Setec box is pretty basic.