Interior Porta Loo

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I am looking at trying to get used to using the Porta Loo to open up some more camping options. I do not have an ensuite so rely on a portable loo.

I am after some hints and tips of what to use and how to keep the smells away?

I know there will also be some other conversations going on!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lots of folk have them secreted in a cupboard or just have a tent for them outside, dumping every 2 days is good, as with my set up if holding for longer than 3 days in hot weather chuck another charge in and give a shake........cleaning the seat area/lid properly each time you empty does help keep any smells away......You smell what you eat..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive only ever used no-name Woolies Laundry Soaker (NappySan knock off). Identical ingredient to Vanish NappySan but less than 1/3 the price. I never touch the over priced and over rated caravan shop liquids. The active ingredient in all nappy soakers is Sodium Percarbonate and the no-name variety always has a higher percentage, than the branded offerings. One heaped cap full in to a litre or so of water in the bottom tank, but like the expensive chemicals only put it in when your just about to use the can. The active ingredients only work for a couple of days, so if you put it in a couple of days too early the toilet the chemicals will have expired by the time you need them. Make sure you empty the toilet on 3 day at most, and every second day preferably.

Every time I empty the can, I rinse it out and wash it out by half filling it, and using some sink detergent shaking it about gently. Then rinse a couple of times, Then leave a litre or so of clean water (without chemicals) ready for the next battle.

We don't generally never have a stinky dunny. The key is don't let it ferment for more than a coupe of days

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Ive only ever used no-name Woolies Laundry Soaker (NappySan knock off). Identical ingredient to Vanish NappySan but less than 1/3 the price. I never touch the over priced and over rated caravan shop liquids. The active ingredient in all nappy soakers is Sodium Percarbonate and the no-name variety always has a higher percentage, than the branded offerings. One heaped cap full in to a litre or so of water in the bottom tank, but like the expensive chemicals only put it in when your just about to use the can. The active ingredients only work for a couple of days, so if you put it in a couple of days too early the toilet the chemicals will have expired by the time you need them. Make sure you empty the toilet on 3 day at most, and every second day preferably.

Every time I empty the can, I rinse it out and wash it out by half filling it, and using some sink detergent shaking it about gently. Then rinse a couple of times, Then leave a litre or so of clean water (without chemicals) ready for the next battle.

We don't generally never have a stinky dunny. The key is don't let it ferment for more than a coupe of days

Thanks I really want to start using mine more so will give this a try.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
@1DayIll I agree with Crusty181, Coles sell Sodium Percarbonate for around $3 kg. You find it in washing detergent/soaker area. I follow Crustys' method but also add a couple of drops of Eucaliptus oil to the mixture of one litre of water and one cap of soaker.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I buy the big 3kg kegs of Di-San at Aldi on special and decant it into the smaller kegs, 32% sodium percarbonate is the magic stuff.

Reactions: Crusty181