16' Series Poptop Rubbing

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,

When washing the Expanda after the most recent trip away, I noticed that the poptop rubs a fair bit around the edges of the top of the van, primarily at the corners. It's down to ali on ali and some screw heads are all but gone. I didn't have the foresight to take any photos but will do it next time.
It's pretty bad (in my eyes anyway), so much so, that I will be putting something in place to stop the two coming together. It's worn the rubber "seal" away in a few places.
Understandably there would be fit of flexion in the chassis, body and poptop, but it's far from durable.
The van is only just over 12 months old!

Cheers,
Paul

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I will not reply to @chartrock - as thats dragging the OP down :behindsofa: but he knows where I could have gone..........

sorry @S&P

when you pull the clamp down, it should be tight - as in, if there is movement to "clamp" the lid down, thats good
if however (and I think this may have happened to yours) it is very easy to do the clamps up, it will not be firm enough, and will allow it to vibrate, move, scratch, grind etc............

you have to be careful when undoing the clamp, that the "center" does not un-wind....... hard to explain........ but when loose, it has a tendency to un-do itself..........

Reactions: dagree

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hi All,

When washing the Expanda after the most recent trip away, I noticed that the poptop rubs a fair bit around the edges of the top of the van, primarily at the corners. It's down to ali on ali and some screw heads are all but gone. I didn't have the foresight to take any photos but will do it next time.
It's pretty bad (in my eyes anyway), so much so, that I will be putting something in place to stop the two coming together. It's worn the rubber "seal" away in a few places.
Understandably there would be fit of flexion in the chassis, body and poptop, but it's far from durable.
The van is only just over 12 months old!

Cheers,
Paul

I had the same issue. I believe the screw heads on the underside of the poptop have rubbed. I removed them as they serve no purpose other than rubbing.
22497-4e4a4cf5d19ced8dea41d1a87a9ecbf8.jpeg 22496-290990671da206244f3a14e6ce87e831.jpeg

Last edited:

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
How tight are the poptop clamp @S&P ?
@cruza the clamps are tight-ish. I'm reluctant to tighten them too mush as the bottom screws on the front clamp ripped out very soon after we got it!
@bigcol Incidentally, when it was in for service at the dealer and the clamp that ripped out was being "repaired" it came back with very loosely clamped clamps!
I think I'll take a cautious approach and tighten them a bit but also do as @BigSkiddy has done and remove the offending superfluous screws :)
Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: bigcol