Exterior Pop top replacement fly screens.

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi all,

Have just had to replace the Velcro fly screens on our Discovery mid way through our trip. I got a couple of quotes while in Darwin and was a little taken back on the pricing at $300-$400 per set of 4.

Jumped on the web and saw some on eBay for a great price and contacted the seller in a hope to get them sent quickly to the caravan park in Darwin quickly. They turned up quick (a little out of character for austpost) , fitted perfectly and look to be great quality.

The mesh holes are smaller than the originals and see this as a plus to combat the midgies.

As it turns out these are from a forum member so it was nice to support one along the way.

Hats off to you @crustt you are a certified legend in my house/van!!!

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Sure thing @1DayIll,

For a set of 4 screens free std postage is $130.00. I paid an additional $10 on top of that for express postage so $140.00 In my instance, posted Monday am arrived Wednesday lunch time (as mentioned above, oddly quick for Austpost) Next step when I'm home from travelling will be to get his clear Velcro windows as well for our cold Perth winters. These keep the weather out and the light is let in.

I searched "Jayco screens" and found the clear ones, then looked at the "sellers other items" and bingo they were there.

Cheers Max.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes @Herbertclan I have the tinted windows from @crustt
bestest investment yet, and he is a nice guy

I also have the Awning cover that he did / does, again, a great thing

might look into the new mesh screens
smaller holes you say............?

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I also got him to supply me a set, I also got a set which are clear solid plastic so I can open the window and let light in without the cold.

Reactions: Herbertclan

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Hi all,

Have just had to replace the Velcro fly screens on our Discovery mid way through our trip. I got a couple of quotes while in Darwin and was a little taken back on the pricing at $300-$400 per set of 4.

Jumped on the web and saw some on eBay for a great price and contacted the seller in a hope to get them sent quickly to the caravan park in Darwin quickly. They turned up quick (a little out of character for austpost) , fitted perfectly and look to be great quality.

The mesh holes are smaller than the originals and see this as a plus to combat the midgies.

As it turns out these are from a forum member so it was nice to support one along the way.

Hats off to you @crustt you are a certified legend in my house/van!!!

View attachment 56001

View attachment 56002
Thanks Herb,
The quote you got sounds steep but for a one off job and being in Darwin they would be pushing to get anywhere near the price i do them for as I make 40 at a time.

I can do normal flywire replacement and will be making some soon, stoked you love them.

Safe travels :)

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Thanks Herb,
The quote you got sounds steep but for a one off job and being in Darwin they would be pushing to get anywhere near the price i do them for as I make 40 at a time.

I can do normal flywire replacement and will be making some soon, stoked you love them.

Hi Crustt

Can you please give us an idea of the price and what else you might be making?

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
A set of 4 finescreens is $100 plus postage to you guys, also I make clear windows to keep the rain out and the light in, Jayco caravan, pop top, clear roof skirt, windows, set of 4 | eBay If you buy through here they are $120 plus postage.

Also the picture is of my van with a padded cover I made, I'll be making these soon for starcrafts and then maybe customs, have yet to figure a price. Should be quite a bit cheaper than getting one made and fitted at a motor trimmer. It is excellent protection from sun and stones and you can roll it up to use the window, also it idiot proofs the window cover which is well known for flying off if not latched down. :)
12805-6bb095c01a87e795d15d7f9af622da67.jpg
For a bigger pic go here: Crustty mod's. | Expandas Downunder

Attachments

• 12805-6bb095c01a87e795d15d7f9af622da67.jpg
    12805-6bb095c01a87e795d15d7f9af622da67.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Reactions: 1DayIll and bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Thanks Herb,

Thanks @crustt,

Still wrapped with them and they got a real workout free camping out of Darwin with the mozzies.

Agree on the one off job, I was actually directed to this guy by the jayco dealer. They said it takes a while to get them in from jayco and I only had 10 days also got the impression they use him a bit.

Do you supply the same fine mesh so I can swap out my door flywire?

Cheers Max.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I just fitted my new pop top fly screens from @crustt bloody good job well done bro fit very nice the one on awning side just fitted very happy 5 stars only thought of doing this 2 weeks ago now there on the van top stuff
@crustt how do you suggest fitting the fly screen over the 2 vents mmmmm i thought of glueing maybe run a small bit from a hot glue gun around the edge and stick new one over the top ???????
Whats your thoughts
20170806_105904.jpg 20170806_105851.jpg
New ones look good

Reactions: Herbertclan

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I still have your banking details @crustt

as soon as I can get some spare coin - the Finemesh ones sound good

also
out of curiosity

that front cover - would it be any good on an expanda........??????

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I just fitted my new pop top fly screens from @crustt bloody good job well done bro fit very nice the one on awning side just fitted very happy 5 stars only thought of doing this 2 weeks ago now there on the van top stuff
@crustt how do you suggest fitting the fly screen over the 2 vents mmmmm i thought of glueing maybe run a small bit from a hot glue gun around the edge and stick new one over the top ???????
Whats your thoughts
View attachment 56352 View attachment 56353
New ones look good
I reckon silicon used sparingly would be the go on those vents.

Reactions: Bluey

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I still have your banking details @crustt

as soon as I can get some spare coin - the Finemesh ones sound good

also
out of curiosity

that front cover - would it be any good on an expanda........??????
Not sure at the moment, will go into Geelong for a look around the Jayco yard, might work. The trick to it is that I have to be able to make one that will fit all vans, it would help if the put the damn lights in the same spot on every van, if you could leave the van in Apollo Bay for a few days ,then yes.

Reactions: bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Just for a matter of comparison, when I had screens replaced the motor trimmer charged $110 per screen, That's for each pop-top screen or Expanda screen (3 per end=$330).

This was for a screen that looked like the original, The old screens were unpicked, and the new ones sewed in so you couldn't tell the difference.

I was very happy with Mackay Motor Trimmers, the only downside was it took a few weeks to get it done because it had to fit in with their schedule.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Just for a matter of comparison, when I had screens replaced the motor trimmer charged $110 per screen, That's for each pop-top screen or Expanda screen (3 per end=$330).

This was for a screen that looked like the original, The old screens were unpicked, and the new ones sewed in so you couldn't tell the difference.

I was very happy with Mackay Motor Trimmers, the only downside was it took a few weeks to get it done because it had to fit in with their schedule.
Do you mean the screens in the bed ends, that's a decent price. :)

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Yeah bed end screens. I had to take them out and put them back....but as nervous as I was to begin with its such a simple job...The motor trimmer I used does boats, caravans, cars...etc....and have been around for a long time. Quality outfit.