Exterior Polishing

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hi All,

Picked up our van and its in need of some love and a bit of TLC.

Its spent a bit of time out in the weather recently, had a cover on it for the first few years of its life but apparently that deteriorated and has since been left out uncovered.

Any tips on what polish or cut and polish to use to bring it back to life? Thinking a little motorised buffer might be the go and help the process along?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jayco used to supply a 3m marine polish and be insistent it was used. The dealer in queanbeyan would have it.

Reactions: spiderpig

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Or that stuff Drover mentioned.

Fibreglass restorer.

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Hi spider pig, when we got our van earlier this year Jayco supplied the two bottles, 3M cleaner and wax and the liquid wax in pic below. The cleaner wax does a fantastic job of removing eucalyptus sap etc and other spots that don't wash off with warm soapy water.
Then I apply a coat of the liquid wax when I feel it needs it. It certainly makes washing easier next time.
Not sure if the will help restore your van but very good to maintain.
As for the motorised buffer I bought an electric orbital polisher to apply wax and buff it off, I have only used it on the roof at this stage and it makes light work of the whole polishing job!

image.jpg

Reactions: Smirke and Journey

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Attempted to give it a polish on the weekend, seems the roof and front panel are going to need some speacilist love. Sides and back are all good but i think the front/roof have seen too much sun and not enough TLC over the last couple of years. Used the 3m cleaner/wax on them, removes the oxidization but still a bit faded and an off white colour. This was with trying an orbital buffer from super cheap.

Reactions: Maxisverymad

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The front top panel on mine is a creamy colour, took a few goes till it came up nice and shiny but still creamy and the the rear took a hell of a lot of poliching before it came good.
Ours had sat in a shed for 3 yrs and had never been used so doubt if it had ever had a polish till I came along.

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
With the pop top down I walk around the edges and crawl over the rest.
Use broom and warm soapy water to wash then when dry use electric orbital polisher to apply and remove 3Mwax supplied.
I'm 72kg tho and works fine!

Reactions: Drover

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Do the full height van roofs hold a heavier weight than the pop tops, or do you think they both hold the same?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Do the full height van roofs hold a heavier weight than the pop tops, or do you think they both hold the same?

I would be guessing full height would/should hold a bit more weight but to play it safe I can send Greer around to get up there for you ;)

Reactions: Smirke