Electrical Plug Question

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
Hi all, I have a 12 pin flat plug on my expanda 2013 20.63.1. Does anyone know what small red wire is coming off the outside pin of the 5 large pins? Not the fridge active wire. Perhaps override brake battery?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi all, I have a 12 pin flat plug on my expanda 2013 20.63.1. Does anyone know what small red wire is coming off the outside pin of the 5 large pins? Not the fridge active wire. Perhaps override brake battery?
Hi @Mick_309,
can you give the actual pin number? It could be either pin 8 or pin 12. Otherwise it is difficult to identify possible uses.

cheers
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have the same van and same plug, but no extra wire. Do you have ESC on the van??

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
Not sure where to post this and this seemed like the right place to start.

Just purchased a Expanda Outback 17.56-2 and picking up the van later this week. I have a brake controller already installed on my tug with a 7 pin plug. Can I tow the van home with an adapter plug without issue or do I need to run a power feed through the #2 Pin. There is no ESC box installed on the drawer bar only the breakaway switch.

Thanks

Ed

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not sure where to post this and this seemed like the right place to start.

Just purchased a Expanda Outback 17.56-2 and picking up the van later this week. I have a brake controller already installed on my tug with a 7 pin plug. Can I tow the van home with an adapter plug without issue or do I need to run a power feed through the #2 Pin. There is no ESC box installed on the drawer bar only the breakaway switch.

Thanks

Ed
Hey Ed, the adapter should be fine, assuming all the plugs and sockets have been wired correctly. All the basic, lights, indicators, brakes etc are standardised in both types of connections and the adapter is wired to cater for that. A quick check before you head off with the van in tow would confirm that. Exciting times ahead for you?

Reactions: DRW and Drover

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
not sure if you worked it out but
_flat-12-pin_4-jpg.37164

Reactions: nabby and Crusty181

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
One final question regarding plug, I hope

Do I need to run as per Jayco wiring, what does pin 2 power do?

Pin #2 +12V Supply from Battery Connect directly to vehicle battery with a 20A fast acting fuse

My Fridge is already on separate anderson plug and upgraded wire

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I have used pin #9 +12 and pin #10 earth on van side and ran a separate Anderson plug to this via a relay through ignition and fused to ensure when i stop on the side of the road for a cold one the fridge isnt draining the tug battery.
the same setup for the ESC

AS pin #2 is for Reversing lights and you are already running an Anderson plug for you fridge with a fuse it will be OK

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
NO their has been no change its the standard you would find this on either Nava or elko web sites its the standard Jayco connections.

I have wired mine as i have mentioned in the previous post as the if you run the standard as shown when you are running the fridge in the van and connected to the tug (tow car) when the tug is running it will keep the fridge running and no drain on the tug battery.
when you stop say for lunch and go to the pub for a counter meal and you have the trailer plug plugged into the tug lets say 1 hour that means your fridge has now drained your tugs battery.
This is why using the separate Anderson plug switched through a relay and ignition means the power to your fridge will only be supplied when you turn your key on.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I will have to check this as Jayco told me to disconnect pin 2 as it will mess with the ESC

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
yep checked it i was advised that pin 2 is used for ESC and on a off road van it is recommended to disconnect pin 2 and use a Anderson plug so when you go off road you can jump out and unplug the ESC as you dont want ESC when on off road conditions

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
Thanks everyone for the help I assume the answer is yes you need power through Pin 2 for the van either through the 12 pin or anderson plug

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Yes Edwinp you are correct you need the pin two connected with the small brakeaway battery under the seat as Gdday mentioned as I have the 2017 journey that has the Jhub and does it different.
I still would recommend using the anderson plug to run the fridge as it has better pin contact

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
Thanks everyone help is appreciated

For those who wired 2 and 9 through an anderson plug, what size breaker did you use, 50amp?