Planning to head to central Australia - Advice for prepping caravan and car/spares

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
Cooloola Coast, QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
Also, yes a good idea to carry a spare set, even if you don't know how to change them the mechanic that comes out to rescue you will be very happy if you can pull out the right set to fix them, so will your missus as you could end up roadside for a few days.

I do think it is wise to have an idea of removing the hubs, checking and adjusting bearings and brakes, they have a pattern of not conforming to service schedules and ruining trips because of a simple 5min check.

A 10" bearing would be found on a Steam train, FB Cranes, ships drive shaft....lol,lol, I think they mean for a 10" drum/hub which would mean bugger all at a bearing shop is it Ford or Holden they may well ask.................Surprisingly after I had pulled Big Mals wheel off to check it all out to get the numbers I found they actually have it noted in the service book but Mal is a Coromal, I would have checked anyway as I'm not all that trusting.

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks very much for all the replies.

I am no mechanical expert, but I did try to imagine how the wheel all went together if the bearings were 10".

I was hoping Jayco would know the parts numbers if I provided them my chassis number etc. Guess not :-(

I could not even get the wheel offset out of them.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was told that Jayco uses the Landcruiser hub stud patten as a basis for their wheel hubs

as I wanted to "streamline" my tug and Van to have the same wheels and tyres

still havent found my "round tuit"

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks very much for all the replies.

I am no mechanical expert, but I did try to imagine how the wheel all went together if the bearings were 10".

I was hoping Jayco would know the parts numbers if I provided them my chassis number etc. Guess not :-(

I could not even get the wheel offset out of them.
Ha, 10in refers to the size of the drum. Jayco had my bearing size from my supplied chassis number

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If you are at 1 year old consider a service especially prior to your trip. In your service get the wheel bearings repacked and ask them to record the bearing numbers whilst apart.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Are you saying to ask Jayco for the grommet kit or Thetford?
Our travel buddies who's oven door exploded have a New Age van. Im not sure if it was Thetford or New Age that supplied the grommet kit. I did check the Jayco models on display at Page Bros and not one had the grommets. I suspect the Jayco dealer should have them, or get them for you