Pit Toilet - Can I empty it there?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
What is the official stance on emptying your cassette toilet into a pit toilet?

Whilst on my trip I noticed a sign on a NSW National Parks toilet (at Yarrangobilly) not to empty cassette toilets into it and directed to head to a nearby dump point. On other pit toilets it said not put anything in there that would interfere with a septic tank.
I've read that some people dig a hole at least 100m from the nearest water course and bury it. To me that sounds more environmentally damaging.

No jokes here please, including reference to my username.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I think what happens is the toilet chemicals in your toilet kills the good bacteria that breaks down the waste in the pit toilet

So thats why its a no no.........I'd say

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I reacon they would make a blanket rule though to give the best chance of the bacteria in the septic of the pit toilet to survive. So still a no even if the chemicals are septic safe.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We are on septics at home and as I would guess other people like us would use bleach to clean the toilet, shower, sinks etc and that kills bacteria, can't see that that would be any different to the chemicals in the thetford. We use the green additive which is supposed to be better for the environment (the blue one contains formaldehyde) I empty the contents of our cassette regularly into our system and haven't had any problems but still I don't empty them into pit toilets if need be I dig a hole and bury.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I'll contact National Parks and see what they say. I expect there's nothing official. Maybe in future I'll won't use any chemical and just use water to float the boats and empty it more regulary.