Electrical Pin two on tug

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all have a questiom for a mate.

Pin 2 is apparently for ESC. Should tgat have constant 12v as tested with a multimeter?

Thanks in advance

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
It will depend on tug wiring, there may be a relay that only supplies 12V to pin 2 when the car is running or the ignition is on. As for ESC requiring power if the ignition is not on I can not answer that question. Also need to consider that the fridge may also use that pin if you do not have another connector (12 pin or Anderson). ESC may be better to be a separate connector so that other items can not short circuit and trip the fuse / breaker and take out the ESC. You may need to have a qualified ESC tech have a look at the wiring to confirm it is correct.

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
Ta. Apparently there is no power to pin 2 even with the ignition on so looks like there might be a break somewhere.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Our ESC light came on when trailer plug was connected....and we have an isolator/ relay fitted so I assumed ESC was getting power constantly, even when vehicle was turned off.

I just disconnected the trailer plug if we stayed hitched overnight.

Or maybe the wiring was wrong? Jayco auto leckie did it.

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
I think it may be a fuse or loose wire - looking at the recommended wiring diagrams there should be constant power

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I switched the feed to the ESC to an Anderson plug so that if needed, such as off road, it could be disconnected whilst leaving everything else powered.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I switched the feed to the ESC to an Anderson plug so that if needed, such as off road, it could be disconnected whilst leaving everything else powered.

Same here but Jayco connected fridge and ESC to the same Anderson plug. Have two Andersons on the Prado so need to split the feeds on the van... One day ;)

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@kozza just a couple of questions that may help get you an answer.....
1. Has your cars plug been wired up to have constant power?
2. If it has been did you have constant power to it with and without the ignition on?

Reasons I ask:
1. Pin 2 is reserved as the pin for reverse wiring and most Aussie cars are not set up to for it so the pin is left unpowered.
2. If it has been wired for constant power then you would likely have an issue with fuse, loose connection, broken wire, faulty solenoid (If fitted) etc.

Reactions: bigcol

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
@kozza just a couple of questions that may help get you an answer.....
1. Has your cars plug been wired up to have constant power?
2. If it has been did you have constant power to it with and without the ignition on?

Reasons I ask:
1. Pin 2 is reserved as the pin for reverse wiring and most Aussie cars are not set up to for it so the pin is left unpowered.
2. If it has been wired for constant power then you would likely have an issue with fuse, loose connection, broken wire, faulty solenoid (If fitted) etc.

of course - if they have just rewired the plug from 7 pin to 12 pin then it may just fire up when in reverse.....not helpful for ESC....

Will get them to check.

Thanks

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@kozza this may help (or be too late)

Trailer-Connector-Wiring-Diagrams.jpg