Peterg's Lotus Trooper

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very schmicko, think I may have to block this thread, it looks just so good.........................wonder if my spray gun is good enough to give Big Mal a new paint job ????

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
First mod. Day 5
20170608_190344-2016x1512.jpg
.....bbq stand hanging of chassis rail. I think I saw it on here somewhere.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Now for those of you with a Truma (dometic) gas heater. I've had hassles with ours faulting on a regular basis. The bleepin thing runs on 2.5kPa max pressure. Australian appliances generally run on 2.75kPa.

Fix is simple for now turn gas bottle no more than 1 turn. Will find a 2.5kPa regulator and have it fitted online to the heater at some point.

rags

Now for those of you with a Truma (dometic) gas heater. I've had hassles with ours faulting on a regular basis. The bleepin thing runs on 2.5kPa max pressure. Australian appliances generally run on 2.75kPa.

Fix is simple for now turn gas bottle no more than 1 turn. Will find a 2.5kPa regulator and have it fitted online to the heater at some point.

Peter, I assume you have a product that has an AGA gas approval. If so the appliance is designed to run on LPG at 2.75Kpa. If it doesn't have an AGA approval the installer should not install it, usually the installer needs to quote the AGA certificate number on his compliance certificate. Page 5 of the attached link shows the test point pressure ( operating pressure).https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/e_2400_installation_operation_aus.pdf
Not sure why you are experiecing trouble, but you won't find a rego rated at 2.5 Kpa.

Reactions: Drover

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Thanks @rags will look into. I've just been going of comments from a couple of forums so far. Plus the Shepp repairer seems to agree that 2.5kPa plus is a problem.

rags

Thanks @rags will look into. I've just been going of comments from a couple of forums so far. Plus the Shepp repairer seems to agree that 2.5kPa plus is a problem.

Peter, I have only installed one of these units and did experience a problem were it wouldn't light. It was traced back to an electrical fault although I can't recall what exactly the problem ( or fix) was. Are you getting any LED lights red or green. Red flashing is a voltage problem
If it doesn't run on 2.75Kpa I would advise to pull it out and return it to supplier. If the repairer mentioned says that it wI'll only run on 2,5 Kpa I also suggest a new repairer.
As mentioned first up check for the AGA approval certificate number 7550, no certificate no go.
Truma's manual is quite clear on the pressure as is AS 5601

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@rags solid red light. It's worked properly twice and everything I've tried both times seems to be related to gas pressure.

The manual says hot air outlet blocked, inlet blocked (neither as I've got good airflow at both points) or gas pressure regulator iced up (regulator feels normal, not colder than ambient air temp). Now if the regulator is icing up when it's cold due to gas flow, I'd be disappointed because what is the point of a regulator that can't handle the cold!

Re-read the manual, 2.75kPa it is, bl%$dy repairers in the industry are as bad as the salesmen! Took me down the wrong path completely. Approval is correct in the manual 7550.

Of to a different repairer it is, bummer cause that's a major effort and time of work..... >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Last edited:

rags

Peter, the only reason that a rego will freeze up is it is to small for the capacity of gas being drawn off, you will never experience that on a caravan installation if a standard rego with a 2 stage setup ie initial high pressure over pressure rego above the larger rego.is used.
I assume your gas fitter has sized the installation correctly and not nearly tapped into a gas pipe because it "was there"
If you where in SEQ I could have a look but Vic is a little too far.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Raw water in tank 1 ran dry when running on the pump and tank remained full. Tank 2 should balance into tank 1, so tank 2 drains first due to topping up tank 1. So under the van I go.

Inter tank connection is there, taps are on. Pipe between tank loops up to top of chassis rail. Nice way to stop the water from tranferring between tanks.

Fixed that and then noticed the water level wires to the meter in the van were across a sharpish steel edge. Another job for another day!

20170924_093817-2016x1512.jpg
20170924_114002-2016x1512.jpg

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Latest mod. Retractable water hose added to service the non-drinking water supply.

20171001_174619.jpg
20171001_174717.jpg
20171001_172846-2016x1512.jpg

Will probably need to improve the support at some point, I'll see how it goes today from Canberra to Rutherglen.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
So back at Rutherglen, setting up, new hose 2ft short...... mutter mumble..... swear a lot......

Get roll flat hose out. Will get a hose connector tomorrow and add my 5m hose from the back of the cruiser to it......

@bigcol Wood box is standard on Lotus Trooper and is an excellent idea.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if your hose thingy was in something like that, you wouldnt need the cable ties to hold it........... (was what I meant......)