Electrical Perth Autolec

TDG1959

Nov 30, 2017
Perth
Hello All.
I have a question for the Perth based members.
Looking for Auto electrician in the Perth area who knows there way around a Jayco Caravan.
My 14-footer has 2 batteries under the seat but neither of them run the Fridge.
The previous owner ran the fridge from the tow vehicle through an Anderson plug when travelling but he did not fit a Voltage Sensing Relay so ran the chance of flattening the car battery when stopped.
Things I’m hoping a good Autolec will help with.
Use one of the van battery for lights, water pump ect, charged by the twin solar panels.
Use the other battery for the fridge, charged by the Tug and DC-DC charger and motion sensor switch to fridge.
Like to have it done correctly and autolec should be able to help with this.
Merry Christmas Tony

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If the fridge is a 3 way it is highly recommended you don’t connect it your van battery as it will drain it quick smart. The only time to run the fridge on 12V is when in motion from your vehicle battery usually via a VSR, fridge switch or the like.

Reactions: Bluey and TDG1959

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hi @TDG1959
I have ALWAYS used Deerings for any Auto Elect work and never been let down with service and questions afterwards
they are Deering by name and by nature, but when I did have a problem (while in Geraldton) rang the Midland one that had done the work, and they arranged a 12v sparkie in Gerro to fix

Reactions: TDG1959

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Running the fridge if it's a 3 way from van battery is not advisable, as stated it will flatten in short time and as a 12v fridge they are lacking.................power from tug while driving is the best way, a simple Fridge Switch ($60 from van shop, Jaycar ) fitted between the fridge and anderson plug will shut down the power to fridge when stopped so tug battery is safe, a tried and true method.........I'd leave the 2 van batteries as they are.

Running the fridge when camped/stopped on 240 or gas will ensure the beer stays cold, it won't if you try to just run them on 12v, the fridge demands an enormous amount of 12v power which no battery can supply for very long unless constantly being charged, 24/7.

Before a trip run fridge for a day at least, 2 is better on 240 to get everything chilled down.

dirtdiggler

Sep 6, 2016
Perth
Do the maths... He's got 200Ah worth of batteries and a 3 way fridge pulls 10-15 amps. You can run your fridge off the van batteries just fine for a quite a few hours. You absolutely will forget to switch it to 240v or gas at some stage (assuming you're human?) so to prevent destroying your batteries you will need a low voltage cut out installed.

Sorry don't have recommendation on auto lecky... But just wanted to chime in and give some balance to the advice. I have my fridge set up that way and it's fine. You can stop for a few hours without melting your ice cream. ☺

Reactions: TDG1959