Pathfinder Big Rig

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
So have been looking and discussing getting a colorado but just not tipped over the edge yet as I love my pathy!

Looking at the starcraft 22" its about 2200kg's unloaded and has an allowance of 675kg's payload making it 2870 loaded if you use the full payload.

So its within the pathfinders limits of 3T's, the ball weight and nissan mathematics reduces the payload in the vehicle by 130kg's but it still doesn't push us over the scales.

So technical figure wise we seem to be ok but I am curious to here what other peoples experiences are with towing a large rig with an R51 Pathfinder Auto?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Have you considered upgradeing to the Ti550 so you can stick with a pathy, damn those things can pull

Nah, torn between the Colorado and the Pathy I have :)!

If i was going to go a new tug it would be the Colorado as value for $$$ wise they just can't be beat a the moment.

I just don't see the logic in upgrading something that is still good so not sold in my mind!

Reactions: skippy

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ok. Heres the plan.
1.Get the Starcraft.
2.Rock up to a holden dealer with van in tow and
3.ask for a test drive.
4. Hook up the Starcraft to the colorado
5. Let us know how it compares to the pathy
6. Then get serious and buy a BT50.

Its simple.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@expanda I was in the same possession about a year ago but I owned a NS SWB Pajero. The Paj never missed a beat and I had it for about 5 1/2 years. It towed great and nothing ever went wrong with it so was a big move to update to the Colorado knowing that if I got a new car that was a lemon I was going to be extremely disappointed because the Pajero was the best car that I had ever owned for reliability and price.
Since owning the Colorado I am hoping that I get the same reliability as the Pajero. Time will soon tell but so far it's been smooth traveling as all is well.
Good luck in what ever you decide

Skip

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Ok. Heres the plan.
1.Get the Starcraft.
2.Rock up to a holden dealer with van in tow and
3.ask for a test drive.
4. Hook up the Starcraft to the colorado
5. Let us know how it compares to the pathy
6. Then get serious and buy a BT50.

Its simple.

It sounds good until about point 6.

Problem is Mazda charges near on 10k more for not much more.

Colorado has a tonne of extras as standard in the base model which Mazda is not even close to offering!

@expanda I was in the same possession about a year ago but I owned a NS SWB Pajero. The Paj never missed a beat and I had it for about 5 1/2 years. It towed great and nothing ever went wrong with it so was a big move to update to the Colorado knowing that if I got a new car that was a lemon I was going to be extremely disappointed because the Pajero was the best car that I had ever owned for reliability and price.
Since owning the Colorado I am hoping that I get the same reliability as the Pajero. Time will soon tell but so far it's been smooth traveling as all is well.
Good luck in what ever you decide

Skip

Cheers @skippy the colorado is certainly worth it from what I can see this far!

Was talking to @Xpandafan last week as he has just returned from QLD, he had no issues at all. As for our setup, when were loaded up for the summer trip, I crack up the chip pump up the airbags and off we go.

Can you tell @Xpandafan we would like him to come back onto the site stat?

Also if we won't come back on the site can you find out his weights of the 18.57.7 with the slide out?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Colorado has a better drive train and more powerful motor @Holden_man

Ones a knock off made in a ex daewoo plant and badged as a Holden and the other is from a reputable jap truck company that has made solid reliable utilities for years.

There's a reason the Colorados are cheap