17' Series Overhead cupboards coming off hinge!!

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hello all,

Our overhead cupboards in our Jayco Expander 17.56.2 are ripping off the hinges . Once we realized this was an issue, we changed the screws in the others as they were definately too short but we have one that we don’t know what to do with and hoping someone on here has had the same and could share how they fixed it. The only other option would be to replace the cupboard door??

Thanks in advance
Hoffy

Attachments

• 6132AE92-E965-4809-862C-B7F75AE7510F.jpeg
    6132AE92-E965-4809-862C-B7F75AE7510F.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 368
  • D2391A1E-BA7A-4780-AAD6-AAC0ACD65FCD.jpeg
    D2391A1E-BA7A-4780-AAD6-AAC0ACD65FCD.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 379

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Wow, doesn’t look good. Other than replacing the door and using better screws straight away, have you tried a temp fix using good quality glue, clamps and then something like liquid nails in the screw holes when reassembling?
Have used liquid nails myself when a screw hole has ‘frayed’ to the point of no longer being able to hold the thread.
Not on van cupboards but has held strong ever since. Not sure if I’m ever able to take the screws out again..... :cool-19:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would trim the timber and embed a piece of alloy angle into the it, so its flush with the surrounding timber, the alloy covering a larger area than the hinge of course, glue and screw it to the timber, then screw the hinge onto it......can trim the timber with a stanley knife, trim the alloy with a small hack saw and file, bit of care and a nice looking job is done with minimal tools..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Id be rolling with a new door, because you'll never hide any repair to that, and the repair would annoy the bejesus out of me. If your really keen to recycle the door, one less effective option would be to fill as much of the screw holes, and work into as much as possible of the broken material with araldite and press for a few days until it sets. The araldite would need to be oozing out, which will obviously need to be cleaned up later. Whatever you press it with, use PE or PP plastic as a shield under the press (ie clamp) because araldite wont stick to PE or PP plastic

A better option would be to fill and patch the current rebate and tear, move the hinge along to a new spot and rout a new rebate next to the existing rebate. Then use more appropriate screws and construction adhesive both behind the hinge and in the screw holes. That will perform like the original

Good luck, let us know how you go

Last edited: