Our Travel Pad...16.49-3B - Sort of...

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
G’day All
I'm relatively new to the forum so I thought I would post a few pics of my Expanda in here and list my mods to date. Whilst the van is quite modified everything has a purpose and so far has served me and the family gallantly through most of WA. We are currently planning a trip to the Kimberly for 2013 (was supposed to be this year but my wife and I are expecting). Unfortunately I’m at the other end of retirement so I cant just get up and do the OZ loop but I’ll be trying my hardest to see every corner of this great country at every skerrick of annual leave and public holiday long weekend there is.

So far...
Full custom drawbar upgraded to 150RHS all the way back to wheels and extended 1200. Lift up platform on gas struts (with storage underneath) to carry quad bike, twin gas bottles and jerry holder, HD jockey wheel, Hyland coupling hitch with Weight Distribution.
Upgraded suspension (springs and shocks), wheels (F250 rims-1500kg each with spare) and tyres to carry 3 tonne and re-registered the van to be rated to 2900kg. 50mm billet solid step axle for increased clearance and strength.
Due to the increase in height I added a fold out step to help with the gap.

img1026kf.jpg

Custom swing out wheel carrier and toolbox at the rear. Wheel carrier modified to carry fully adjustable satellite mount. In the toolbox I carry 2kva Honda genie, leads, lights, tools, rope and an Ozpig. Notice I have installed additional LED brake/indicator lights up the sides as the toolbox can restrict the view of the lights.
The carrier also houses my table in a canvas bag and the WeberQ. Originally we had the Jayco BBQ in the toolbox next to the door but decided that the WeberQ was alot handier as we had a 6mm plate cut and now use it as a BBQ as well. Now I have monster storage in the cupboard.
In the spare wheel bag I carry all my sullage and coaxial cable for the satellite plus a collapsible bin.
The ladder I carry needs a new home as I have to remove it to get into the toolbox all the time but I'm still working on that one.

img1028h.jpg

img4297z.jpg

Pressed toolbox with locking doors on each end hangs under the rear of the van - this is where I keep all the poles for the bed ends (uprights and spreaders + spares for more shade if required)

Recently I installed the LED style side marking lights - these are a lot better obviously and the original gaskets were white and perished in the sun.

I have 5x 90L water tanks with hiflow electric pump and level gauges mounted on the pantry side and tank taps near the door under the van. I have mounted a tap on the drawbar and a filtered tap to the sink. I am thinking about mounting another tap at the back of the van on the dead side as the one on the front generally lets water fall into your camp area. I also installed an external shower point for those times when you just had a swim at the beach.

4 Solar panels live fixed to the roof charging 2 batteries with 1600W inverter and Ctek battery charger and power usage monitor all mounted with the air con compressor unit underneath the couch.
On the solar panel frame I have mounted some roof racks to carry kayaks when needed but nothing of any weight ever goes up there.
I also have mounted a 3G/Wifi antenna here for bush internet and 3g phone long distance coverage.

Next to the tank taps I mounted the wheel chocks for quick access and all the other gear I need for quick setup sits in the front compartment ready to go.

img1057bl.jpg

All the compartments had crap key lock openers so I changed them all to swivel type hand locks that also use the keys if you want to. And I also mounted a couple of marine 12V plugs on the camp side for the fridges...

I’m pretty sure I have covered everything on the outside.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Man! that is some serious re engineering of the van you've done there looks great though and thanks for sharing, Have to asked though how did you get on gett new compliance plate for it?

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
Long and tedious. I ended up taking it to Northam Licensing depot and they had no problems. They were happy with the welding and strength is definitely up from std.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Thanks what toe the minister of finance and war has seen you have 5 water tanks , 4 solar panels (we have 2 ) fitted and says we can do this cant we !! i liked the WE bit
all in all well done cobba we will be in the Kimberly this may cant wait ........

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Very impressive well done, I would love to get re rated to 3 tonne, maybe after next year.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Like nothing i have ever seen before! You must be so proud of your work.

Can't wait to read about the inside now:rockon:

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
Internally, I haven’t changed much as I am pretty stoked with the space the Expanda provides.

We added a custom inner spring mattress to the queen end for some more comfort.
Filtered tap as I said previously as well as water tank level indicators, inverter, power usage monitors, 24” LCD TV with Strong box satellite and foxtel (old TV shown in pic), 3G broadband and phone booster, a few spice racks on the walls and cupboards, drawers in the pantry, LED lighting everywhere, Alpine Ipod stereo, tap isolator on the shower taps. My best internal mod tho would have to be the bench I made to go between the shower wall and the top of the fridge. I haven’t really got a pic with it setup but I’ll get one. I had a piece of 16mm lami made to size, screwed some light weight angle to the shower wall and under the bench above the fridge to support the new bench space. It only comes out at dinner time and lives behind the rear shower wall when not in use.

img02132u.jpg

img02142g.jpg

I’ve just shown a few photos to give you a broad overview. I am more than willing to throw some more specific photos up if requested. Also open to ways of making things better as always.

In this pic you can see my sat dish at the front of the van. I sometimes mount here in a jockey wheel bracket if i happen to be blocking the feed. i keep extra coax cable in the rear wheel bag.

img0221rg.jpg

Most recently with my new car, three weeks old at christmas, geared up to go to Nornalup Inlet for the break.

img1025fi.jpg

Thanks again for all the comments, overall I am very happy with the setup, with just a few other things I would like to do, side wall table on the outside, external speakers and im in the process of developing a wind generator system that folds away.
My only problem is in a few years i'll need to be able to carry 2 bikes...

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Unbelievable!

I love a good modified Expanda. And this would have to be at the top of my favorites list.

Nice tow tug as well!!!!!!!:car:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Holy crap!! Looks awesome. The only thing not modified is the actual word expanda running down the side of your rig. You almost need to replace the wording with "Expanda ++"

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
I thought id put up a few of my internal mods because i think they are well worth it and very simple but make the experience that little bit better. Plus i have had a few pm's about a few things.

First of all the other day i installed a surround sound for the TV. I know i know, its not real camping, but our last trek out to Quagi Beach, Hopetoun WA, saw bad weather and it bucketed down, we couldn't hear the TV. It cost me $70 for the Logitech system which is mainly for PC's and it PUMPS. The sub went under the seat, 2 of the 5 speakers were mounted under the cupboards as shown. I kept 3 speakers in case we put the tv outside on a balmy night.

img1098qe.jpg

img1100ac.jpg

Here is a view of my "control centre". Here you can see 240V abd 12V powerpoints, RCD, Inverter switch withc selectable 240V/Inverter/Battery switch and Battery Management.

img1102m.jpg

Pantry - modified howards storage rack,

img1105gr.jpg

what toe

Aug 23, 2010
Perth, WA
My favourite mod yet! 2 small angles screwed to the bathroom wall and just above the fridge to create more bench space

img1107i.jpg

img1109oi.jpg

Stored here when not in use with a few clips and occy rope.

img1110p.jpg

In use...

img1111ko.jpg

Only really comes out at cooking times, as it obviously restricts access to the fridge and end bed.