Our FZJ105 Cruiser tow vehicle

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
673EA082-6855-4AF2-BEF5-568EA62D6759.jpeg
So, update on last years 12mth trip.
Vehicle preformed fantastic, had zero break downs,( had to replace one uni joint that started vibrating 2weeks before our trip ended.), no punctures, no busted windscreen(first time in 6trips)
Fuel consumption wise, over the 12mths we averaged 22lts/100kms, using 95ron where ever possible(95% of time), found 98 no better on economy or power and 91 returned the same economy as 95, vehicle was down on power.
We purchased a second FZJ105 in Adelaide on our way back, sole intention was to chop it into a dual cab work ute. It was stock as a rock with a freshly rebuilt motor and returned economy of 13.8lts/100.
So, once home I set about lightening off our touring FZJ, roof rack, draws, drop slide and 60 lt engel were removed(total weight removed(including stuff in draws) was over 250kg).
Ive just started building a slide in/out storage system and purchased a 40lt Evakool fridge so a little weight will be added. Im using plastic tubs in the storage system as I find it handy to be able to remove them and carry to ‘where ever’.
Dont need roof rack any more so saving there of weight and wind drag.
Havent towed yet so will be interesting to see what I can get fuel wise.(old van was 2T, this one around 1.6T).