Our Expanda- from mild to WILD

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Finished one splash back today, real happy with outcome.
1E6C59A3-B184-458D-A8EF-CBFF3D89107B.jpeg

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
So, been at a standstill for a while, wondering if we were going to keep the van or move it on.
We had a weeks camping around Tassie and on our return decided to get van weighed......well what a shock.
1504kg was max weight for van by compliance plate, van weighed 1740kg with only a little water but full of food/clothes etc.
Now Ive added 95kg of weight to van with mods but that still leaves it 100kgs over weight, with what I dunno.
Anyway, I got a engineer to cone measure up to see what we can get it upgraded to and can get it to 1850kg.
I initially decided it wasnt worth it but after thinking long and hard, wete gunna pay up($650) and get it done.
Theres a few things in the van I can save abit of weight on and can juggle some things to vehicle.
Still cant work out why its so heavy compared to our old twin axle Discovery which had a/c, hot water, 2axles etc.
Need to up grade axle/springs(already planned to), tyres(done) and coupling(done).

Reactions: bigcol and WHHEMI

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
So, been at a standstill for a while, wondering if we were going to keep the van or move it on.
We had a weeks camping around Tassie and on our return decided to get van weighed......well what a shock.
1504kg was max weight for van by compliance plate, van weighed 1740kg with only a little water but full of food/clothes etc.
Now Ive added 95kg of weight to van with mods but that still leaves it 100kgs over weight, with what I dunno.
Anyway, I got a engineer to cone measure up to see what we can get it upgraded to and can get it to 1850kg.
I initially decided it wasnt worth it but after thinking long and hard, wete gunna pay up($650) and get it done.
Theres a few things in the van I can save abit of weight on and can juggle some things to vehicle.
Still cant work out why its so heavy compared to our old twin axle Discovery which had a/c, hot water, 2axles etc.
Need to up grade axle/springs(already planned to), tyres(done) and coupling(done).

Hi @Moto Mech , it is very sobering to find out your van weight is way over the limit. From some of the pictures you sent when renovating van, I can remember the twin gas bottle carrier up the front as well as the huge metal tool box. These would definitely have a bearing on increased weight as I am sure you would have made them very strong, but heavy. Also your other mods were made to last and not done in a way that minimises the extra weight. A good lesson for all. Is this mod/upgrade going to cause me to go beyond the permitted weight for van?? The best mods are those that give more but don't weigh more. Glad you found out now rather than later.

Reactions: WHHEMI

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Hi @Moto Mech , it is very sobering to find out your van weight is way over the limit. From some of the pictures you sent when renovating van, I can remember the twin gas bottle carrier up the front as well as the huge metal tool box. These would definitely have a bearing on increased weight as I am sure you would have made them very strong, but heavy. Also your other mods were made to last and not done in a way that minimises the extra weight. A good lesson for all. Is this mod/upgrade going to cause me to go beyond the permitted weight for van?? The best mods are those that give more but don't weigh more. Glad you found out now rather than later.
There’s no twin gas bottle holder, just one 4.5kg bottle and holder. Steel used on that frame was lightest possible.
Box on front of van is alloy as well.
Everything done was done as light as possible while trying to be strong.
Ive added 95kgs all up but that still leaves van 100kgs over with only abit of food and a few clothes.
As it is the only way to get it under weight would be to take no food or clothes (not including my add ons) but I doubt we had that much food/clothes in it.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
There’s no twin gas bottle holder, just one 4.5kg bottle and holder. Steel used on that frame was lightest possible.
Box on front of van is alloy as well.
Everything done was done as light as possible while trying to be strong.
Ive added 95kgs all up but that still leaves van 100kgs over with only abit of food and a few clothes.
As it is the only way to get it under weight would be to take no food or clothes (not including my add ons) but I doubt we had that much food/clothes in it.

Sorry about that mistake @Moto Mech , thought I saw two holders. But even alloy is heavier than nothing at all. And the great shower setup, I bet, is superior to what was there. And the tiles around the sink as splashback. May be small and great idea, but weight all the same. Better to reduce it there than run around naked and starving. Even take away places are off limits when starkers, if the police do not get you first. Think of all the extra work you have done to see where it may have added to the original load.

Reactions: Moto Mech

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Sorry about that mistake @Moto Mech , thought I saw two holders. But even alloy is heavier than nothing at all. And the great shower setup, I bet, is superior to what was there. And the tiles around the sink as splashback. May be small and great idea, but weight all the same. Better to reduce it there than run around naked and starving. Even take away places are off limits when starkers, if the police do not get you first. Think of all the extra work you have done to see where it may have added to the original load.
Tiles are fake to, stick on plastic stuff.
Just did a recalculate of things Ive done to van and pulled a few things out(awning walls, 2 camp ovens etc) and got 40kg out.
Going on old weight, whats been removed and new weight allowance(1850kg), with water tank full we’ll have about 100kgs to play with.
Can carry extra stuff in Cruiser anyway(gvm already upgraded) and I shed over 200kgs from it from our last big trip(steel roof rack, draws, 60lt fridge, drop down slide etc)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd say it was never that weight originally, a compliance plate that is correct, tooth fairy talk..................Still it looks good and I was thinking when I saw your first post there 2 ton springs and axle should be enough to bring it into compliance for an engineer to tick it off................

You can buy a new blank Australian compliance plate for $30 here in Australia.

and we all know the roads are crawling with transport inspectors ready to hitup a caravan......................

I do like the splash back, your giving me more incentive for another mod.

Reactions: bigcol

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Happy to say my replacement solar panel has been on for a few months and is working well. Did notice its a different brand than the one that failed.
BTW the failed panel is working ok as a portable panel to charge up aux battery in vehicle. Keeps in front of my Evacool 40lt fridge.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Happy to say my replacement solar panel has been on for a few months and is working well. Did notice its a different brand than the one that failed.
BTW the failed panel is working ok as a portable panel to charge up aux battery in vehicle. Keeps in front of my Evacool 40lt fridge.
Are you sticking with the flexi panels?? I have to send my 2 x glass 250w panels back for underperforming, have you checked the output amperage?? Due to the weight, I prefer to use the flexi panels

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Are you sticking with the flexi panels?? I have to send my 2 x glass 250w panels back for underperforming, have you checked the output amperage?? Due to the weight, I prefer to use the flexi panels
Yes, while they’ll replace them under warranty, ill keep getting them.
But, as I said the replacement panel is a different brand so maybe others had a fault.
Was getting around 6.5a on a fairly cloudy day, around 18 deg but haven’t studied this panel to much yet as campings near done for year

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well, I just stick to my Aldi panel and LRPS back up................never fails, laughs at clouds and shady tree's....added bonus nobody camps near me, even when I don't need it, sits beside Ute like a watch dog...

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Not much happening on the van of late, winters setting in but did do a little mod today.
Pet hate of the mrs is squashed bread so I come up with this.
Decided if we were going to have a bread box, it had to have the ‘roller’ door on it. After looking around for a few months, a bread box came up on gumtree that was near the EXACT size we needed to fit in were the microwave used to be. So close that all I had to do was trim off a little on the bottom(exact width and length).
For $30 and 10 mins to fit, happy days.
6F5C1B50-E698-4100-BA73-CFABCFDF357D.jpeg
40E18C37-4DED-46D8-8AB9-3A67A5AABE58.jpeg

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
And after deciding to have no table(were gunna use fold up tables), we decided a fixed table would be better as long as it didnt make getting in and out of bed a pain.
So, drilled a big hole through floor, made up a mount flush with floor inside and bulk of it underneath van.
Result seems good. Table still moves to multi positions
88A2CA9F-71F6-48AA-B9A0-D93CC0C3F580.jpeg
8F9E6F14-E25E-4ED5-A74A-AA63DAC39555.jpeg
C847D039-2D0E-4C89-943E-541648A5BC3B.jpeg
CDB18220-7925-4903-A5B2-F29EA4363633.jpeg