Our Expanda- from mild to WILD

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While your shed looks like mine I wish my welds did............................................................the cheka look cool, Big Mal has the same but needs a good polish.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Finally the weather was kind to me today, still a wet/muddy bog hole here but it was fine and sunny so got van out and got to work. Must apologise for pictures, my phone seems to be dying.
Mounted my new rear drop down bar on, 3 bolts per side instead of sliding rhs into rhs.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Finally had a free day to play with the Expanda and make a start on the shower.
Fitted the base, couldnt go centre of shower for drain as there was a cross member under the floor so positioned it where I could join the sink drain to it under the van while all protected by cross members. Used a pop up drain so we can plug the bottom if needed.
I 'peened' the edge of hole in base so drain would sit flush too.
Just gotta work out what to use for shower walls, seen people use 'whiteboard' panels, cheaper than laminex and just as good apparently, will investigate at bunnings sometime.
I also have a small corner sink coming from Europe so cant do any plumbing till thats here and mounted. Planning on using one mixer tap and putting a thread on the end so we can screw a shower hose onto it. Keeps it simple.
And lastly, gotta work out a door, a light one.
Also reused one of the wardrobe door/mirrors on front of shower to keep wifey happy.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Couple of weeks ago, one of my mates asked if I wanted any flooring for my van, wasnt about to say no so grabbed all 5 packs and set them aside.
Today being a wet rainy day all day, I decided to do the floor. Wasnt the exact colour I would have chosen but for free, it'll do. Plus anything looks better than the lino they come with.
Looks pretty good I think and have 3/4 of a pack left over for any future mods.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Hey umm.
I'm gonna take a guess by the quality of your workmanship that you may already know this,
But
The spring loaded latch pin your using to lock the spare wheel frame upright has a weak spot where the roll pin is in the pin which preloads the spring to allow it to self close. The main pin tends to bend at this point.
I found this out the hard way 1 day with my CT I had before.
Like the work and effort your putting in, all the best with.
Cheers
Dave

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Note to self, when finishing up for day make sure the cat is out of van before locking the door.......
Found the stupid cat the following afternoon, all stressed out and we all know what stress does to a cat, luckily it decided the new shower tray was just like a kitty tray........ewwwwww. Nothing half a can of air freshener didnt sort out.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Hey umm.
I'm gonna take a guess by the quality of your workmanship that you may already know this,
But
The spring loaded latch pin your using to lock the spare wheel frame upright has a weak spot where the roll pin is in the pin which preloads the spring to allow it to self close. The main pin tends to bend at this point.
I found this out the hard way 1 day with my CT I had before.
Like the work and effort your putting in, all the best with.
Cheers
Dave
Dont like the catch, am looking out for a stronger one but thats all I could get at the time.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Water works time, ripped all the existing pipe work out, (mains and hand pump), hand pump, mains water tap and water tank.
Van will not have any mains water pipe work, all water will be supplied by water tank and 12v pump.
I replaced std 60lt tank with a 110lt tank, this will be plumbed to a mixer tap over sink, shower, draw bar tap and gas hot water unit. Im also fitting a new water filler neck, going up from 1" to 1 1/2".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Also cleared the draw bar ready to redesign it(new toolbox, change water tap position, new gas bottle holder and jerry can holder). And while draw bar is clear, I removed front vinayl ready to fit checker plate.
Previous owner was so proud of the job he done fitting previous tool box and making frame under it, and of coarse he welded ACROSS draw bar too. Im going to add a 'under truss' to draw bar to be on safe side.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Enjoying your write up...................I don't know about putting a buffer on the outside walls, I've had paint polish off with just a hand buff......keep that shiny stuff away from road works or wash down straight away, went thru some roadworks in the rain and it etched the stainless steel panels on Big Mal.

Reactions: bigcol

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Enjoying your write up...................I don't know about putting a buffer on the outside walls, I've had paint polish off with just a hand buff......keep that shiny stuff away from road works or wash down straight away, went thru some roadworks in the rain and it etched the stainless steel panels on Big Mal.
The roads heading to Elim Beach last year must have some hard stuff in them as its was pouring with rain, muddy as and the mud that stuck to the alloy checker plate done some serious 'eating' away at it, never to polish out. I was going to spray it with tray black liner but sold van instead. Think I might clear coat the stuff on this van.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover