Electrical On 240v, HWS, battery charge and power points not working

5ofusontour

Feb 28, 2016
Collaroy
hi, another day, another challenge!
We've just come into a caravan park and hooked up to 240v.
The fridge, microwave, ac, stove are all working on 240v OK.
The HWS, battery charge and 2 power points for appliances are not working!
Does anyone have suggestions?
I've searched all the forums and checked, the connections, switches, fuses, HWS switch on. We are full time in the van for 5 months and it was all working 3 days ago at last CP!!!
Thanks Prue

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The hot water system runs off a power point so if 2 others aren't working then there is a fair chance one of the pp's has come unplugged as they are all piggy backed one to another. See if you can find the first one in the series that is not working.

5ofusontour

Feb 28, 2016
Collaroy
Thanks, not sure how to find that out! Basically it's three power points not working and four that are. So guessing from what you're saying there are two different circuits. Can I access anywhere to find out what the problem is??
I did read somewhere that something can come loose?? We've done a bit of dirt??

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
you may need to remove the power points from the wall and check the pre-manufactured leads are secure in their connection at each power point. WARNING only do this with the 240V extension lead unplugged from the van.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Not necessarily, it could be one continuous run starting from the power inlet on the side of the van. I can't find any diagrams of their wiring but if you have a look here this will show the type of connections Jayco use. So the power comes in from the external connector with the first cable to the first power point. From there another cable then goes to the second power point, then from there to the third and so on. The power points are not hard wired but have a plug & socket on the back for a cable to plug in and another to come out to the next PP.

If you can follow which direction the cable goes from a faulty PP it may lead you to the first one that is faulty otherwise you ma have to pull each PP off and check the connections. The fault may not even lie with the non working ones, it may be the cable exiting the last working one.

It may just be a case of "jiggling" each connector on the back of each power point to find a bad connection. If you are not confident doing this I recommend a licensed sparky, after all, there is 240V on these PP's if you are plugged in to the park power supply.

Keep us posted and welcome to the forum. Post some pics of where you are and your rig.

Reactions: Drover

5ofusontour

Feb 28, 2016
Collaroy
Not necessarily, it could be one continuous run starting from the power inlet on the side of the van. I can't find any diagrams of their wiring but if you have a look here this will show the type of connections Jayco use. So the power comes in from the external connector with the first cable to the first power point. From there another cable then goes to the second power point, then from there to the third and so on. The power points are not hard wired but have a plug & socket on the back for a cable to plug in and another to come out to the next PP.

If you can follow which direction the cable goes from a faulty PP it may lead you to the first one that is faulty otherwise you ma have to pull each PP off and check the connections. The fault may not even lie with the non working ones, it may be the cable exiting the last working one.

It may just be a case of "jiggling" each connector on the back of each power point to find a bad connection. If you are not confident doing this I recommend a licensed sparky, after all, there is 240V on these PP's if you are plugged in to the park power supply.

Keep us posted and welcome to the forum. Post some pics of where you are and your rig.

5ofusontour

Feb 28, 2016
Collaroy
Thanks for that, we're in Esperance now so will see tomorrow if we can get it looked at! We've managed to fiddle around with most things and get them sorted, so hoping I could for this too! Have used the forum a few times as we're new to caravanning (well we were 5 months ago when we set out for our 'lap') it's fantastic thanks!

5ofusontour

Feb 28, 2016
Collaroy
Finally back on power and had a chance to look at this afternoon. Was able to follow and then draw up a diagram of the 240v cables. Yes it was easy to see how they piggyback onto each other - thanks! Unfortunately I think we've traced the fault to somewhere behind the panelling under the microwave. that seems to be where the 'faulty' cables and the 'live' cables converge. Can't see how to get to it without pulling the van apart!!! We're heading towards Perth so will see if Jayco there have any bright ideas!