Ohhh Dear.....poorly loaded caravan accident

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While it's a damn long rig it just doesn't look like the wheels are really in the best position on that trailer, hence the name pig trailers,then Yanks have some big long rigs...saw something that looked that long recently but it was a tri axle job dragged around by a RAM, jam on trailer brakes and peddle to the metal can straighten them out sometimes.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
While it's a damn long rig it just doesn't look like the wheels are really in the best position on that trailer, hence the name pig trailers,then Yanks have some big long rigs...saw something that looked that long recently but it was a tri axle job dragged around by a RAM, jam on trailer brakes and peddle to the metal can straighten them out sometimes.
Hi @Drover,
from the dashcam, the truck was doing 66mph. The RV that shot past must have been doing at least 75pmh.
How much peddle did the driver still have left to put to the metal!!!!

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
So good time to test my understanding. A new trailer with ESC would have locked the brakes on and tried to "drag" the trailer into a straight line wouldn't it?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as long as you NEVER accelerate

always use the manual brake on the electronic brakes to help bring the van back into line

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ESC - by definition - Electronic Stability Control
apparently (as there is several types on the market ) once the Van is moving more than 5* (I think) it will activate the brakes on the relevant side to bring it back to normal
so it will brake one side at a time to correct it

Electronic Brakes (minimum requirement under the Law for over 750kgs towed) activates BOTH wheels brakes when activated either as you brake, or if you activate the emergency switch / slide / button (depending on which controller

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
I have the ALKO system fitted to my Jayco Journey. The ALKO system applies all the caravan brakes at the same time. The other system on the market made by Dexter allpies brakes brakes on either the L/H, R/H or both sides depending on the situation.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think it depends on the G's which way they go, in the case in question I wonder if they would have done anything other than delay the in result..........ESC won't save all situations, especially if tug and van have poor tyre pressures as well, I think once the tug starts to go thats it, all over red rover.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I must admit, that although I was horrified to view this video, I somehow also felt it didn't really apply to me.

Why? Well since I only tow a relatively small Penguin, I shouldn't need to worry about these issues as they relate to those other BIG vans.

Oh, Oh, Oh, how completely wrong I was.
I just viewed this video posted on another forum showing a disaster happening, in Australia, whilst towing a small camper trailer very similar to our Penguin.

Certainly wiped that smug look off my face!!!

cheers
Mike

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hi,
I must admit, that although I was horrified to view this video, I somehow also felt it didn't really apply to me.

Why? Well since I only tow a relatively small Penguin, I shouldn't need to worry about these issues as they relate to those other BIG vans.

Oh, Oh, Oh, how completely wrong I was.
I just viewed this video posted on another forum showing a disaster happening, in Australia, whilst towing a small camper trailer very similar to our Penguin.

Certainly wiped that smug look off my face!!!

cheers
Mike
Saw that one on DashCam Australia's Facebook page - I can only guess maybe the lid clips either failed or weren't secured correctly. Different issue I guess but still going to ruin your holiday.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have seen a Swan trying to do a Swan dive into the table drain, very lucky he pulled it back, little car thing was the tug though.