Just Browsing Off-road with outback models

Bruiser

Dec 21, 2016
Broome
Hi guys new to this forum. I am looking at buying a new 14ft outback model with the bunks for the kids. We live in Broome so not worried about it being small as we really only sleep in it. I'm just wondering how well they perform off-road on corrugated roads and also do they bog down on the beach. Would you guys take yours far off-road into the bush or are they limited to unsealed roads? Also do you have any trouble with dust, I know I will need to cover all the vents.

Thanks Bruiser

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Bruiser
Corrugated gravel roads/tracks won't be a problem... Just drive to the conditions.
As we have a 17.56.2 outback I wouldn't take it too far off sealed roads due to the extra weight but the 14'er may be OK?

Plenty of reading on this forum and no doubt you may find the other answers to your questions.... If not I am sure someone will pop in and answer them for you.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Bruiser and welcome to the forum. We had our 20ft OB Expanda over your way in June. Among many other off road places, we dragged it up to Cape Leveque which is possibly the worst bloody goat track in Australia .... its pox. Van came through it dust free and intact. Friends of ours snapped an engine mount on their new Prado on the Cape Leveque Rd, and they weren't towing.

I did a little extra dust sealing before we left home, spending a few hours rolling around under the van on a creeper with goo gun in hand. As for the beach, a 14ft'er would be similar I would imagine to a camper trailer in terms of tow performance

Good luck