Not strictly insurance

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Early in the year I lost my Cruiser in floodwaters, having only 13000 klms on the clock. I am insured with Alliance for that vehicle and was absolutely surprised that there was no argument about replacing the vehicle. Had a 3 year new replacement policy.

Afterwards I decided to join the RACQ with premium membership, for the simple reason if I do have a problem, they will tow my vehicle AND caravan to the nearest garage, or I think a max of 200 ks. Could be wrong about that last distance, but I dont think it's less than that. Reminds me to check it out for myself.

I believe it's one of the few ways to keep vehicle and van together in case of trouble.

Has anyone had any experience of this happening?

Feb 1, 2012
I have similiar cover with NRMA in NSW. A number of years ago we used to have a "All Terrain" Camper Trailer and were travelling between Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach and a turbo hose on my vehicle seperated. Both the vehicle and trailer had to be towed. We elected to leave the trailer at the depot in Tin Can Bay and accompanied the vehicle to Gympie where it was fixed that day and we then went back and hooked the trailer on. We had the option to have both towed to Gympie but chose not to.

Not sure that helps any but just my experience.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had a breakdown earlier this year with the camper trailer. I have NRMA basic membership and towing the trailer was not included! Luckily I was in convoy with a mate who had a towball, so he hooked it up and followed our tow back home. Makes me think that the premium coverage is worth it, especially if you're a long way from home.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
years ago i was at my parents property on the Burrow river and i had to tow a trailer back and half way up a big hill before Gympie the clutch in my ute went.....i actually had a choice of trailers to take back and for some reason i picked a car trailer....my brother and best friend drove out in there cruiser by which time i had the ute on the trailer and home we went...nothing to do with the thread but just remembered the story...was lucky that day..if i picked the other trailer i was screwed.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
years ago i was at my parents property on the Burrum river and i had to tow a trailer back and half way up a big hill before Gympie the clutch in my ute went.....i actually had a choice of trailers to take back and for some reason i picked a car trailer....my brother and best friend drove out in there cruiser by which time i had the ute on the trailer and home we went...nothing to do with the thread but just remembered the story...was lucky that day..if i picked the other trailer i was screwed.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Both my current and previous cars had roadside assistance as part of the new car sale, but I still took RACV premium car just for the caravan. For an extra $140 or so, I think it is a good insurance....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Our next door neighbour planned a trip to Stanthorpe for the long weekend. He has a V8 Chev ute 2WD towing a 17' Jayco Freedom, and had his auto transmission serviced, a new water pump fitted and his radiator flushed to prepare for the run. He got up to Cunninghams Gap and his radiator burst. :faint: He has top RACQ coverage so his ute was put on the tow truck and the van behind the tow truck and all brought home for free, about 100Km. He was told it would have cost him about $1000 if not covered so it is a good investment. :high5: