Newbie - My old Starcraft poptop

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Loved Cape Hillsborough but the midgies at Mrs CR alive last time we were there.

Hello @chartrock , can agree with you whole heartily about midges at Cape Hillsborough. Had the same problem with Mrs when we were there last year. But what do you expect when you drive through kilometres of mangrove flats to get into the place!! Up on the hill in the strong breeze (SE gale), you don't get any, but go down to the beach especially when tide is out and no breeze, you need to use lots of Deet or the calamine lotion and anti histamine are used!! Great place, but I liked the Town of 1770 better.

Reactions: chartrock

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Boots in Action, we counted over 200 bites on my wife from there and she was itching for more than a week after it.

Have not stayed at 1770 but we will have to give it a go sometime.

Hi @chartrock , if you go there , try captain Cook caravan park. Set in well treed area with great facilities too. About 1 km from boat launching area where the other van park is situated, but that is very noisy and open to the full sun and not much privacy. More room at Captain Cook. The LARC tours run to Bustard Head light house from the launching area. A full day but well worth it in an amphibious vehicle.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
You're all right about the midgies. We were all lathered up with aerogard when we went for beach walks. But it wasn't as bad as you guys have said. Must be seasonal. I get bitten waaay more than my wife does, so I was unscathed that weekend :D.
It was our first run down with the new van and we're loving it. The only thing we would not do again is pick a site under trees. Our new van got baptised with lots of tree sap, So i have spot stains already :(. I washed the van down before we left (2nd pic) but couldn't get the the stains off the A frame (oh well) :)
IMG_2111.jpg
IMG_2182.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
but couldn't get the the stains off the A frame (oh well) :)
Aluminium cleaner which has Hydrogen Fluoride as a component, such as Septone Alibrite from Super Cheap. Trully awesome stuff. Test first of course, but it bought my chassis back to the realms of new from a horrendous northern red dust battering.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
@bloke went home from Mackay to Calliope with 2 full water tanks. I was going to empty those tanks prior to heading home to save some fuel but I'd like to get the "worse scenario" figures. Set cruise control at 90 kph, got 17.7 L/100 klms in sports mode (which means settles on 5th gear instead of 6th). Fuel stop at Ilbilbie to get some fuel figures and some needed lunch :D. Head home this time setting cruise control at 95 kph and got 19 L/100.
I think it's possible to get better economy with bog stock standard BT. Mine has 2" lift with higher profile A/T tyres.

Tripper

May 13, 2017
Moranbah
Well done Eddii van looks great and sits nicely behind the BT-50.
The managers at Cape Hillsborough are great and the place is pretty awesome as well
That was were we went with our new Swan (2015) the day we picked it up from Jayco Mackay.
Have you ever stayed at Cape Palmerston, looks good with 4x4 beach access?

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Thanks @Tripper, when we picked up our van they had an appreciation weekend at Cape Palmerston. Unfortunately we had already booked our stay. So next time we get our van serviced we'll head up there;). Apparently the caravan park and facilities are quite new.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
@bloke went home from Mackay to Calliope with 2 full water tanks. I was going to empty those tanks prior to heading home to save some fuel but I'd like to get the "worse scenario" figures. Set cruise control at 90 kph, got 17.7 L/100 klms in sports mode (which means settles on 5th gear instead of 6th). Fuel stop at Ilbilbie to get some fuel figures and some needed lunch :D. Head home this time setting cruise control at 95 kph and got 19 L/100.
I think it's possible to get better economy with bog stock standard BT. Mine has 2" lift with higher profile A/T tyres.
Thanks for that. Just interesting what other people get. I have a stock standard Ranger (same drive train obviously) and tow our 17.58.3 and get average of 17L/100km. Interestingly I had a 2012 Triton all decked out with lift, tyres, racks etc... and got average of 16L/100km with the same van. I would have thought the ranger would have been more economical, but 5000km in and it doesn't seem to be the case.

By the way, the new van looks the goods :rockon:

CEJ

Jul 24, 2017
Burua, Central Queensland
Picked up our new van last weekend at Jayco Mackay.

Sad to see the old van go, but looking forward to new adventures with this one.

View attachment 57726 View attachment 57727 View attachment 57728 View attachment 57729 View attachment 57730
Mate we saw it all lit up as you came down the road when you brought it home, and I popped down last weekend for a look but it didn't seem like you where home. As you saw when you drove past this arv we picked our new one up today......

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Mate we saw it all lit up as you came down the road when you brought it home, and I popped down last weekend for a look but it didn't seem like you where home. As you saw when you drove past this arv we picked our new one up today......
Congrats @CEJ:rockon: on your new van:clap2: we’ll definitely have to catch up and do a show n tell ;)