Newbie from Newport, Victoria

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
Just joined

Recently took delivery of Jayco 2011 18.57-9 OB, very happy with product and looking around this forum for trip ideas, modifications and general info.

Located in Newport, Victoria
Tow Vehicle Land Rover Discovery 4, 2.7 Diesel
Previous Ultimate Camper Trailer, Windsor Rapid Offroad Pop Top.

Jason

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Welcome Jason,

I have the same van on order due November, completed the final options list a few weeks ago which doesn't leave them much time to build it but was told it's still on schedule. Would love to see some pics of you're van also.

Cheers Ben

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome.
IMG_3187.jpgIMG_3188.jpgIMG_3189.jpgIMG_3190.jpgIMG_3200.jpgIMG_3364.jpgIMG_3750.jpgIMG_3753.jpgIMG_3838.jpgIMG_3865.jpgIMG_3895.jpg
I have attached a few photo's - both van and tug. The original van was ordered 3 days before Xmas 2010 and arrived spot on the promised date in early May. Absolutely no problems or complaints to date. Factory ordered with upgrade A/C, TV, Additional 240 and 12 V sockets, Solar, Battery, Outside Table, Extra outside light and the simplicity suspension which makes the van a further 100mm higher than the std outback version.
Since new I have added - pole carrier, DC/DC charger, Battery Monitor, swapped any light not already LED from factory to LED, added LED light and microswitch to turn them on in the front boot. Rewired 12 Pin flat plug to be 2 x 7 Pin plugs - Land Rover have 2 plugs and I'm utilising the 2nd plug for power to fridge and DC/DC charging.
Next looking to move spare wheel and install a storage cage in the A frame. Ball weight is only 185kg at present.

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Looks good Jason,

I can't see any WDH on you're van do you have them and if not what do you think without them? I know I read somewhere that some of the new landrovers dont have them due to self levelling suspension from memory.
Moving the spare wheel and adding storage box is the first thing I will be doing also, they recommend around 10% ball weight so in theory should handle better with a little more on the ball.

Cheers Ben

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
Hi Ben,

Has the van arrived yet?

No WDH used as advised by Land Rover and it seems to work very well....plus one less ting to hook up and remove. I have a tow ball scale and loaded the ball weight is 185kg. With the LR capable of 350kg on ball its not a problem. The other advantage in not having the WDH is off road where I have got some fairly step angles, not that this caused me a problem - just take care and take it slow !
I have now changed the hitch on the van to an alko off road to provide further articulation which would not work with WDH.

I'm part way through the modification with spare wheel now located just forward of the axle on a winch mechanism to raise and lower it. The space deviously occupied by the spare wheel is now storage for jockey wheel, hoses, chocks, ramps, etc.
Made from perforated aluminium to keep weight down and looks fairly good also.

Will post pictures of mods when complete.

Jason

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Hi Jason,

The van has been put back 3 weeks till the 12th Dec, bit frustrating cause I go to work for a month on the 6th Dec. Sounds like you are at the fun stage of mods etc, I love tinkering with new toys.

Cheers Ben