New16.49-03

Banger

May 28, 2017
Brisbane
We are looking to sell our 2013 25ft Sterling Outback to buy a new16.49-03 and keen to get as many thoughts, words of advice, what to watch out for etc before we go into negotiations. If you have recently purchased one what can you recommend or what should we make sure we add or include in the deal. We are in Brisbane and the caravan and camping show is just about to start so any help would be great. We have also been looking at the New Age Gecko and Windsor Rapids so any thoughts on these in comparison to the 16ft pop top Outback with a toilet and shower would be great.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
1st thing 1st..............

New Age Gecko & Windsor Rapid
great vans, and worth every penny they cost

Jayco 16.49 - awesome Van (maybe thats why I have one) but they are cheaper than the above

a bit like comparing Pajero V's Y62 Patrol V's 200 Cruiser

all are good in their own price
just depends on how much you really want to spend

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You will find answers on a few threads on here also when you go to the show make sure you are armed with what the prices of the vans and equipment you are looking for is normally in the yards here as well as interstate, you will find not as many bargains as they make out, some of the stock on show can be had for a great price if you buy the display unit................

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We bought our 16.49.3 around show time two years ago and found that doing all the checking, running around pre show was worth it. We talked to dealer in May...pre show....and decided on what we wanted and discussed price etc with the dealer, then asked about show deals.

They gave us the show deal then and there and added quite a few extra show special components as well.

Extras we opted for....

extended drawbar...a definate
ESC....essential
Picnic table...very useful
Spare wheel moved to rear bar
Mesh tray on A frame

And some others I can't recall now, as the van has found new owners. Not because there was any problem with the 16.49.3 but we saw a Golf that was just that little bit more suited to our needs.

Good luck with it.

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I have a 2015 16.49-3 OB which I love. The extra's I ordered were
Extended Draw Bar - A must
Picnic Table - Very Useful
Stereo - Love It
L Shaped Lounge & bed converter/ Table Instead of Cafe Dinette- Love it.
Wind Up TV Aerial - A must.
Additional 12V plugs - Usefull.

I have since added mesh to the drawbar, annex, storm covers to beds (A Must), pole carriers etc.......

I would also check what handles are proposed for the cupboard doors. Mine are push button which are fine- the 2016 vans had very flimsey handles that alot of people break, so i would order it with different handles. Yes, you will be getting a Jayco product that isn't the Rolls Royce of vans, however at least they have the best dealer backup for when servicing and repairs are needed.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol