17' Series New Van

jumedw

Jan 11, 2013
Hi,
I pick up my new Expanda 17.56-1 in a week or 2 and was interested which insurance company/s are the best to deal with, any help would be appreciated.
Jumedw

Oct 13, 2012
Hi Jumedw,
There has been alot of discussion on this topic over the past 6 months try searching through the forum and you should come across a few of the different companies.
I myself just picked up our new 17.56-1 2 days before Christmas and went with CIL Insurance. There has been alot of bad press against CIL due to a cluase in their PDS regarding theft and gaining entry through a wall that is not "hard walls". This has been rectified with CIL and they have agreed that theft through the canvas bed ends is covered under their policy. I found CIL to not only be helpful but they were also considerably cheaper than most other companies and they give you the option to raise and lower your contents insurance (standard $1000 included) when you see fit and only pay the premium for the time you have it increased ie: when you are away on the road.
However, it seems to be the way that different states have different prices so get some quotes and make sure to read the wording in the PDS.

On a side note, what mods did you go with on the 17.56-1? I am still waiting on the maiden voyage in ours...2 weeks left!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I am with RACV. We were one of the people that changed when I found I was not covered by CIL. But now they have rectified I would be happy to go with either. Unless you are looking for coverage of items stolen from under your awning if you have that fully enclosed. There are a couple of companies that cover you for that also.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We have gone with CIL, after looking into the contents further. CIL also cover Australia wide. not just Gazzetted roads, which I found some other companies do not. For us, who do travel off road, this was a big one.

Cheers

Cracka

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
M.H.I.A are another good to deal with, in saying that I didn't use them for the Expanda after having both my campers with them, as I got better deal with NRMA,

Also how many of you went if CIL just because Jayco are their agent and it was convenient?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
jumedw,

Congrats on the new van. Personally I am with RACV as we get significant policy discounts and roadside assistance.

Insurance is one of those very tricky questions. The devil is in the fine print and also depends what sate you are in as to who you can get coverage from. Make sure you read the PDS fully. One of the key issues as mentioned above by others is the Expanda's canvas bed ends and pop-top. Some insurance companies will not cover access through canvas, while others will and then there are others that will also cover access through the canvas annex.

There are many great posts and discussions on the forum, just do a search for "insurance".

The power of the forum was demonstrated as you will see when reading of one insurance company (CIL) that is sold by many caravan dealers. They did not cover the canvas entry issue, so many forum members cancelled their policies and went elsewhere. This loss of business and very negative publicity has caused CIL to change their policy for Expanda type vans.

All I can suggest is read the many threads on insurance in this forum to get an idea of the questions you will need ask when getting quotes, then when you are ready, hit the phone for a few quotes.

Remember, you can also get cover over the phone so you can get the van home, then there is a cooling off period or you can always change policy at any time as many have done recently.

Good luck and happy Pandering :)

Rohan

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
we've only been with GIO for about 2months and made a claim on replacing the awning (because some dill didnt peg it down) and they came back almost imediately saying it was approved. they offered the same cover as CIL and were cheaper so no complaints so far.