New Van Hitch Height Issue

halbster

May 13, 2014
Picked up our new van yesterday (non Jayco but calling on the experience of this helpful group) and the height of the hitch was way too high for our Ford Ranger.

the van is like an Outback with independent suspension 16in wheels and a D035 hitch.

But when we went to hook up there was a huge difference, 200mm, in the height of the hitch to the towbar on the Ranger. The Ranger is standard with standard towbar.

Looking for suggestions on how to fix this? Got around it temporarily by getting a hitch riser on the Ranger which gave us 100mm.

I think the D035 should have been recessed into the chassis and mounted to a plate on the bottom of the drawbar.

Suggestions brains trust ????

Attachments

• BF6EDA52-064E-4435-BC34-2545F56C6F78.jpeg
    BF6EDA52-064E-4435-BC34-2545F56C6F78.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 589

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
I have the opposite problem, with the coupling mounted on the lower part of the caravan and is too low for the car. As DRW has commented ADR provides limits, but I thought that they where guidelines. If it is new than see if it can be changed.

Good news is you can do a lift on the ranger and not have to worry about the caravan.

I do not know if you can install the coupling into the gap, or if there are mounting holes for it. This will open up a can of worms associated with this being a legitimate towing point (so check with manufacturer) and also may require the modification of the hand break.

Again opposite problem, but Hayman Reece also advised me that the amount of hitch adjustment was limited to maintain tow rating.

Good luck with it

halbster

May 13, 2014
Yeah right, I’ll look into that. This one is measuring 700 from the ground, probably ok for a truck or jacked up Cruiser!!

halbster

May 13, 2014
I thought about lifting the Ranger but typically will only give 50mm not 200mm.

I’ve called to check the chassis manufacturer if the hitch can be lowered, probably cost a small future. If it can be lowered will reduce 150mm, then could lift the car 50mm and all should be good - in theory

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I thought about lifting the Ranger but typically will only give 50mm not 200mm.

I’ve called to check the chassis manufacturer if the hitch can be lowered, probably cost a small future. If it can be lowered will reduce 150mm, then could lift the car 50mm and all should be good - in theory
You will also need to take into account a further drop in the vehicle towbar when you hook up caused by the van towbar weight.

Reactions: Marv_mart

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Pretty sure the DO35 is not the same requirements compared to the 50mm normal towball. The offroad type of hitches can be anything
Although not sure you want it that high any way? Do you want to put a reverse drop hitch to get it higher? Not sure I like to

What did the van place say?

Reactions: Tone

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If youve only got standard ranger suspension I would replace it that will give you a bit of extra height even though not that much but it will make for an all round better, safer tow as your rig won't sink at the back and just gives way better stability....also the 50mm quoted can be around 80mm depends on how much the original crap springs have sagged.
Another pic of the set up on the draw bar would be good but it doesn't look like a cut away bar which would allow the hitch to be off the bottom plate, so suspension upgrade and a raised hitch on the tug or a rejig of the draw bar I suppose, either way chucking the original suspension is always an excellant choice.

Lower profile tyres on van can give you an extra 25mm as well.

Reactions: JT76

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
As @Drover mentioned you will probably get more then 50 mm lift due to orig suspension probably sitting lower then new. Also 50mm at the wheels may give you more then 50mm at the towball if I’m thinking this right in my head.

From memory when I upgraded my suspension with only about 1500km on the clock so still basically new the front came up 50mm and the back was around 60mm. The tow bar I fitted sat much higher (for tray not tub) and I have to run a 150mm drop hitch to get it low enough to sit right. My towbar, being higher to start with with a non drop hitch would probably sit 700mm of the ground.

So a suspension upgrade would be a good option anyway and help out a bit but as other have said take it back and see what they say re dropping it lower. If one day you need someone else to tow it (break down etc) then having it at a more normal height will make it a lot easier. I think that’s the main reason they have the rules re hitch height, so any vehicle should be able to hitch it up if needed.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
On my Triton I fitted an ARB rear bar with the hitch built in and that was around 100mm higher than the standard bar. Doesn't look like you could get that much due to your number plate placement. Really needs to be put back on the van manufacturer to fix though as it's not fit for purpose is it.

Reactions: Tone and DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I still recon you should be able to hitch up to a new van and go, yep mods can make for a better towing result, but, you shouldn't have to
Well said. Every van hitch regardless of balls, pins, clips pintels, should be standard height unless either you or they specifically request otherwise. You'd stuggle to sell the van down the track because on-one would be able to tow it without significant modifications.

If the tow tongue is btw the 350mm and 420mm and there isnt specific info in the signed paperwork stating otherwise, I;'d suggest its the manufactures issue to rectify