new to me 2005 12 foot expanda outback

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Hey guys, been lurking for a while and have a camper trailer at the moment which I will be selling. Have been toying with the idea of a van for some time and found a really well priced and tidy 2005 12 foot outback expanda. Its just myself and my partner so the small van suits us perfect. comes with full annexe as well as all of the usual things here are some pics.

Anyway for now its pretty stock. Has recently had a new battery and new tires. apart from that its got a wall mounted air con, dual water tanks (unsure of size), normal 3 way fridge and the usuals.

I plan on rigging up gas hot water. I have an instant water system in the camper which works great so am thinking of doing this and mounting it in the front boot or otherwise potentially installing a Truma. Then I will add probably 400w of solar on the roof in the form of 2 x 200 watt panels just to never run out. Main reason is i will more than likely upgrade batteries and put a compressor fridge in as I like remote free camping and for me they are more efficient and work better but I will see how this little 3 way one goes first.

Basically I was after a lightweight yet durable off road van which I can easily pull up the beach and be quick to set up. Like many others I have looked at all of the super expensive hybrid vans etc but they are big dollars and in reality this thing is probably more practical for what I need and it is nice and quick to set up with good storage.

No doubt the mods will come, i do like to tinker!

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks to be in good condition...clean and tidy.....and cute.

Enjoy the freedom it'll give you.

Reactions: Dave_B

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
soooo cute:biggrin-26::behindsofa:

now seriously

on ebay you can buy the fiamma awning for the rear bed end------------ maybe a bit easier to open and close as opposed to the bag awning........?

like this...........
expanda bed awening.jpg

expanda bed awning.jpg

if I had seen them before selling my Flamingo - I may have kept it

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That awning is new to me....great idea.

Well spotted @bigcol

Hey @Brenton you can be tough and cute at the same time.....there are some on this site who might qualify...no names mentioned.

Not sure of the cost of that awning but it would sure make setup time quicker and be more protected....and it'd be very easy to add some extra protection to the sides if needed in really bad weather.

Last edited:

rags

Hi Brenton you already found your way over here. It looks good. Never quite considered my 12.37 as cute but then again it might be because no matter where we go with ours someone takes an interest in our van with such comments about the compact size and the room offered when opened for business, a bit like a Swedish backpacker walking into a bar every one wants to look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 477

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey @Brenton .....I just noticed in your photos, the one with the awning set up, that your pop top has a bit of a lean.

It might be worth using a couple of those pop top supports when you have the awning out...or a piece of dowel. They sell the supports on eBay.....where else?....and definately worth carrying for high wind rain situations. Your awning looks like it's causing the poptop to sag a bit and that will affect your gas struts. Add a bit of rain to that and you might have a future problem.

Easy, cheap fix or prevention.

Reactions: bigcol

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Hi Brenton you already found your way over here. It looks good. Never quite considered my 12.37 as cute but then again it might be because no matter where we go with ours someone takes an interest in our van with such comments about the compact size and the room offered when opened for business, a bit like a Swedish backpacker walking into a bar every one wants to look.

Hey rags! yes mate been lurking here for ages. the olds have a 2012 1649.3 expanda which i have done a few mods to for them so researched on here some time ago! everyone loves a swedish back packer! haha

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Hey @Brenton .....I just noticed in your photos, the one with the awning set up, that your pop top has a bit of a lean.

It might be worth using a couple of those pop top supports when you have the awning out...or a piece of dowel. They sell the supports on eBay.....where else?....and definately worth carrying for high wind rain situations. Your awning looks like it's causing the poptop to sag a bit and that will affect your gas struts. Add a bit of rain to that and you might have a future problem.

Easy, cheap fix or prevention.

thanks for the advice! didnt even notice that. do you have a link to the supports you are talking about by any chance?

Dave_B

May 4, 2014
Greendale VIC
Great looking van@Brenton...and welcome to the 12ft club lol. Am going to check out the awning thing too....I have the bag on the back atm and am thinking of replacing it. Also just installed a diesel heater....just in time for summer lol. Welcome to the group and look forward to the adventures :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey @Brenton ....no can post the link. I'm technologically incompetent and happy to remain so.

Just do an eBay search for "pop top supports" ...they look like extendable rods but really do work.

Good luck with the trailer sale and the van set up.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks @bigcol .

I can do a link on the pc but not on the ipad...at least that's my excuse.

The supports have gone up in price since I last looked but I reckon a couple of pieces of dowel or a cut down broom handle would work ok...if measured carefully. They only need adjustment when first used....once length is determined that's it. The important part is that they give the support.

Interesting that once people see a solution, the price hikes...that's life, I guess.